1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you Plow Heavy Snowfall 16"-24"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J HIsch, Dec 23, 2004.

1. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

How do you plow heavy snow fall our area has been hit. Nothing probably compared to snowstorms up north. But for our area if we get 4" people say we got pounded. So I am wondering how to plow heavy snow fall, need help!
  2. cc2004

cc2004 Member

First,you do not let it get to be 16 inches of snow that you have to plow.
    You should be out at 3 for residential and 2 for commercial.
    If you HAVE to push a lot of snow you would usually angle the blade (right or left)and push useing half of the blade.
  3. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

I realize you dont let it get 16". we plowed with the storm but couldn't keep up. I only have 2 plow truck as that is quite a bit for my area. There my be less than 100 plows in my city total. It is rare we get this type of snow. But I guess you dont know how to plow heavy snow either. I really hate dump butts on this site. All they do is knock everyone else or put down someone like there an idoit.
  4. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

stay home

Call a backhoe and stay home!!! my 5500 4x4 loaded with 5 t of salt might push it for about 60 ft but then i would havea 6 ft high pile of snow in the middle of nowhere
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

We had the same thing here last month. You just have to pick away at it and when it gets too bad use bocats and loaders.
  6. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

We have areas at times that drift to 4 feet or more. Obviously the best way is with a blower or large loader but there not always where you need them. We try to set up acct around one of our big blowers but sometimes that just doesn't work.

Our basic response if we only have a pick up avilable is start where there is the least snow on the lot. The same would apply to a driveway you just have less paths to choose from. The hardest part is getting one pass. Dont try the 100 mhp slam it to the other end. You'll be waiting for the tow truck (been there). We sweep left then right always trying to keep our tires on solid ground. Keep working small amounts out of directly in front of you. Eventually you'll reach the end of the lot. From there its easy. Just keep takeing a half blade, maybe a 1/4 blade or even shave a chunk and push down the tunnel to the other end. Once that is done call in a loader as soon as possible to make some room in this place cause the next big one may be tomorrow.
  7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

and I found you get more power pushing straight ahead
    I like to take a few passes straight in to move some snow around, then start going in on a angle. Even then you still have to make a straight pass now and then.

but it also all depends on how wet the snow is, light snow tends to blow around more but is really easy to push.
    if you have a larger dump truck on site that is usually the bulk snow pusher, it all depends on the area being plowed and the equipment involved.
  8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Here in Columbus Indiana we got pounded! I was working with a buddy of mine here, he has 2 Chevy 2500's with plows, we worked all day yesterday from 6 am and quit at almost 3 am this morning. We had been plowing with the storm, but couldn't keep up! Its crazy here, everything is shut down and all these stupid idiot people are still out driving around like they are in a emergency! We got both trucks stuck at least twice last night, the one has a receiver hitch spreader, fuel transfer tank and lots of salt, the other one just has some salt and two single stage snowthrowers in it.... gave up plowing as we just couldn't make any progress, time for reinforcements. went to my buddy's house to crash for the night and got both trucks stuck getting in his driveway (residential in town). The one w/spreader is still stuck right now. One of the guys has a farm, he is making his way into town with a tractor pulling a backhoe on a trailer...

HELP!!!!!!!!! We need reinforcement!
  9. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

unless you guys live in buffalo -you better sit in the backseat and listen -if you're doing a driveway ,you don't go straight in or back drag -you drive in the mouth at 45degree angles and the plow off to the sides with you blade angled - parking lots are the same,pick where you're going to pile everything and windrow it over to there -just remember to take smaller bites because these more snow-hardly anyone around here uses bobcats and backhoes
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Why are you trash talking?

Why are you trash talking :nono: cc2004 gave you a straight answer, chip away at the snow with only part of the blade.
  11. Robo

Robo Senior Member

And if the man if from Buffalo you better listen to him :nod:
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

JHirsh isn't doing driveways; he's got parking lots. The problem for him is that he may have a problem of where to plow TO. While it would be best to "plow with the storm", at this point that is not an option. The best advice I had for him was to plan carefully where he's going to put the snow and absolutely avoid the temptation to "plow some off the top" by raising the plow to plow, hoping to go over the same area with a lesser amount. The only thing that'll accomplish is getting stuck with the moldboard in the snow. And to just take his time and take small bites. I think with this storm, people in his area will understand having some problems getting out, if they were short-sighted enough to leave their car in a parking lot in the first place.

I don't live in Buffalo, but I've plowed a little snow (except for this year :mad: ).
  13. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Plowing DEEP SNOW!

We All Realize every Snow Storm has Differant SNOW! Some is EASY! Some a Real *****!--16 inches of FLUFF is NO Problem!--but--16 inches of WET Snow?--HUMM--We have a Problem!--I DONO about YOU Guys? I Take PHOTOS of Yards Driveways!-ECT--w/ NO SNOW!--Place E*M in a Note Book w/ Addresses!--so Any-One can SEE Exactally what? that Area Looked Like in JULY!--No Pun Intended towards Any-One!-- I don*t Wait until theres 16 Inches! as I*D rather Plow 4 inches 4 Times than 16 Once!--& Push It as Far as Possible! Every TIME!--& I don*t have any Loaders! way back When! I used to Plow 160 Customers!- & heres Some Advice! Get together w/ Other Plowers & HELP One Other!-- especially the Private Guys!--as We All Need HELP at One Time or Another! & Don*t Get Nit Picking On Whos Done WHAT? as Your turn Will Come!--& When Some Ones Trucks DOWN!--GO SEE HIM & DO His Yards!--& When-Ever Your DOWN He will Do Yours!--I Especially Like those Young KIDS! --Future PLOWERS!--Plowing w/ a JUNKER!--just Look at That SMILE On Their FACE! as YOU Give E*M a HAND! & Wave as YOU Drove OFF!--& YOU Know! They will Watch every Thing YOU DO!--like a PUPPY watching the Ole Dog Do His THING!--I Remember the Chatter on My CB Radio--Now Cell Phones!--HEY!--JIM--I*M STUCK!--NO Problem!--I*LL be there in 15 OK?--& this WORKS Both Ways!--all PLOWERS Are Special PEOPLE!--YOUNG! OLD? & In Between! I Guess? Its the Chalange! Man Against NATURE?--as Most! Men just Talk! But PLOWERS! They GO & DO IT!--& the MORE SNOW the BETTER!--I*M what most would Call an OLe FART! 70 yrs OLD! & I still get That Lump in My Throat! When I SEE! a Young KID! w/An Old JUNKER! Out THERE!--Plowing SNOW!--as HES Gonna Be Out There! when I*M GONE!--& My SPRIT is 100 % w/ HIM!--as Hes the FUTURE!--& Gentlemen Thats What this Lifes All About!--& all YOU Older Guys ever WONDER?? if? those Young Fellers Are in a CONSTEST? Of I can Get STUCK WORSE than YOU?--Ever Thought of being!--[STUCK??] NOW YOU All Can LAUGH!--as We have ALL been THERE!--& YOUR ALL Very SPECIAL PEOPLE!--MERRY CHRISMAS! & GOD BLESS!--Ole JIM--
  14. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

merry Christmas ole Jim
  15. WELDER

WELDER Member

yup me too. merry christmas jim! :waving:
  16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

17. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If I was ever lucky enough to get that much snow, I'd plow with the storm and try to keep up or rent a loader or two.
  18. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I know your probley real busy and don't have alot of time to tell us stuff, but what do you have for trucks and plows. Do you have a V-Plow at all?

If its residential work then its easy to hit it at angles with the plow at full angle and push off to the sides. Iam assuming our referring to work in parking lots? Lots vary alot so its hard to have a set way of approaching heavy snow in a lot. The hardest is going to be the first pass, this is where a V Plow helps alot. You have to do something to get started so try to make one pass down the middle. Try turning the truck itself at angles and dump the snow off to the side everytime the truck starts to bog down. Once you have made a good size cut you can begin to make that wider, back up and push the sides off a little more. Then you can move ahead by backdragging off whats infront of you and stacking on the sides. Continue the first pass in this manner, all angles when the snow starts to get to be real heavy on the plow, turn the truck left or right as you lift the plow, this should get rid of the snow on the blade. Its going to take a while to make the first pass like that, but its the only possibe way I can think of. Once you have made the first pass you should be able to take say 1/4 blade width and push to the end. Windrowing may work but i would try going straight for a while so as to not keep adding to what i have to move on the side. The windrows can become immoveable afer just a few passes. All in all, its not easy, its time consuming and its work that is usually done with a loader if it is wet and has to be removed all at once from a large parking lot.
  19. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You do what you have to do. Not really any one right answer, just depends on type of snow(dry or wet). If the snow is blowing and drifting. The best advice would be to try plowing in a way that has the smallest runs and to not try to plow the full width of the blade. just so many variables that you can't give just one answer. We don't get snow like that here anymore. But i'm just as as happy with the 4" storms. I'd take a bunch of 4"ers over a 1 foot and larger storm anyday.
  20. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

plow with the storm dont take big bites when plowing