1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you plow driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Nov 19, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Just curious which steps people use to clear driveways. Do you plow the approach open first, back in threw the bank and plow the approch out the continue with the rest of the driveway, start at the garage or far end ect?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: When you were out plowing the other day how did you do it?

3. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Richard Where are you in WNY?

I'm in Hamburg. But any way to answer your question if the snow is deep and heavy I'll clear the approach first then back drag from the top of the drive down about the length of my truck. Then back in and push it out. If the snow is light usually I'm able to back drag down to pavement then clear the approach. Hope this helps.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I clear out the approach. I was just curious to everyone else's method.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, I was just wondering what you did?
    First, I plow the road cut& mailbox clear of the snow the city plow left. Then windrow the snow to one side as I go up the drive, then back drag the snow away from the garage at least 1 1/2 times the length of your rig. Go turn around and back up to the garage and plow the snow to where you are stacking it.

There are different ways of doing it as every account is different.
    It is usually better to plow the snow out of your way than to drive through it.

6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Back up to the garage, drop both plows, leave.

Takes 30 seconds.

7. Finally

FInally, i was waiting for someone else who had a backblade and knew how to do things quickly!~

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

thanks for the onfo!!...
    firstclasslawn=Ho!! Yea!!!I have a back blade too.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

So you two just back up through the berm the city, county plow left.
    You wouldn't push it out of the way with the plow first?

10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Naah, I leave the V in a V, and the rear has downpressure. Makes it very clean. On the rurals I'll stop and shovel out the mailbox with my custom built snow shovel. Total time would be 90 seconds!

I have a couple of HOT young ladies. I'll scrape their cars off!

11. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

nice

nice lol but not everyone was a rear plow but i bet we all wish we did:salute:

12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Yep! At that rate, we could do so damn many driveways!

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Ya, what he said.....Rob

14. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Doing short residentials is hard---only because its against the law to push into the street. Last year, I got the hairy eyeball from the city more than once. This year might generate a ticket.

15. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Drives with a garage on the end I start at the bottom and go up the side opposite of where I want the snow to go, angling towards the side the snow will go. Right before I get to the garage I turn sharply and push the snow off the edge of the driveway. I then back drag the "quarter circle" that is left about a truck length and then push that over where the snow is piled.
    Then back up and repeat on the othere side of the drive. This time there wil be less to back drag. Then finish the walks and the little bit I missed when backdragging up close to the garage.

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol i dont plow, but i snowblow.. .i use 32" 12/13hp snowblowers, hand shovel any steps needed and snowblow driveway and sidewalks... dont take too long either a lot of snow.

17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds great but where do you put the snow? Around here you can't put it in the street or push it across.

18. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

This must add a few minutes to each job.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  19. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

How much do you charge for this service? :)

20. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

There's a better chance of trading a clean car for sexual favors. :p