1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Do You Pick Up Accounts? - Poll

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allagash, Oct 31, 2005.

?

How do you pick up new accounts?

1. Advertise in the local newspaper.

15 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Hang fliers on local store bulletin boards.

15 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Cruise neighborhoods slowly after a storm.

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Word of mouth / referrals.

60 vote(s)
    80.0%
  5. Advertise in "Penny Saver" type newspapers.

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Post signs on telephone poles in neighborhoods.

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I'm wondering how you guys pick up the majority of your accounts? Also what advice can you give to new guys starting out, or 2nd and 3rd year guys who have a bunch of accounts but could use more accounts.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I do no advertising whatsoever. I did my first year and that was it. Now it's all word of mouth and I'm having to turn away accounts.

3. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

What did you advertise in that first year to get started?

4. The Boss

I ran an ad in the Quad City Times and spent an arm and a leg for 3 magnets for the truck. I got all my accounts that first year from the paper, not one from the magnets.

5. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

If you are just starting out make sure everybody you know, knows that you are now in the snowplowing biz.
    When I first started out, I used to offer a reward, $25.00 off the current customers bill for each person who a customer referred to me who signed on as a new customer.
    If you can afford it, there’s nothing like a big phone number on the side of that truck out working.
    I also ask all my current accounts for referrals about two to three times during the course of the season.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

There is no yellow pages on the pole, thats the way I advertise..:nod:

7. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I'm from a small town, so everybody knows who I am when I'm out plowing, so they either call my cell or call my house.

8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

on our landscaping flyers we advertise snow removal

9. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i did it the same way "the boss" did and now i'm turning away accounts, lots of e'm! good luck, pete

10. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

We go out and beat on doors!

We send out brochures.
    We go to busnesses and introduce ourselves, our services, and our company.
    We join local associations, go to HOA Meetings, Development Meetings, and Local Government Meetings.
    We advertise in the Yellow Pages.
    We over service our customers and have signed all our customers from last year plus those they reffered us to.
    We sign Seasonal Contracts with money paid up front. Due to this we don't have to turn away business. If they sign a contract and pay up front we buy more equipment and hire more guys.

11. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

i put an ad in the paper my first year got about 20 customers and then used word of mouth. Now i have an incentive program for lawn customers that get $xx.xx for refering me and $xx.xx to the new customer too for trying the service. This is usually $20 off their bill to the customer and 10% off the new customers first job. You could offer this to your current customers

12. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

I print off and slice tearoff sheets and post them at Pizza shops, stores, the town hall, get a lot off "word of mouths" too. A good reputation can go a long way!

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Same here, BOSS we have so much in common, wish we lived closer :redbounce

14. The Boss

Well, we can exchange info. and ideas at the get together.;)

15. nherweck

nherweck Junior Member

I am thinking about putting an ad in the Cincinnati Enquirer, but I'm worried about the price. The total for just one week of advertising is just under $160. Do you guys seriously get any calls from the newspapers? I've ran ads in the community newspapers with NO responses whatsoever, but I hear good responses from people posting in the larger newspapers. What do you think>?

16. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

We have a kind of neat section in our paper called the "SERVICE DIRECTORY"...its right before the classifieds, and its designed for operators like us to advertise.

I paid about $160 for a 2" add that will run every day for a month. I don't get millions of phone calls....but enough to know that the ad is seen.

Glen

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I advertise in the Yellow Pages, a smaller news paper and word of mouth seems to work here and there. Next year for mowing and plowing I think I am going to flood our local market with thousands of flyers. All of these get to be expensive. Yellow Pages-$800.00/yr, smaller local paper-$90.00/mo. and flyers are about $.98 each for a nice multi colored print. I only want about 30 mowing and plowing customers, you would think a number like that could be done very easy.