1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you pay your sub's...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chief Plow, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I have a sub guy that works for me in addition to my 3 trucks that run. We got buried on christmas.. about 28'' in less than 24hrs. I called him a couple of days before christmas, told him I could give him some work. I usually pay him $50 per hour. F150, 7.5 blade, no salter. He doesn't have to leave his truck. ( No shoveling required ) I kept him busy christmas day. He worked 8 hrs. I paid him time and a half because it was christmas. So, he got $75 per hour from me. I paid him cash the next day. Wouldn't you know he quit on me before the new years storm. Says I didn't pay him enough. Am I not paying enough, or what? I thought I was inline with my pay scales. My drivers ( my own equip. only get $25 per hour, they also got time and a half on christmas ) what gives? or is it just me being a scrooge.... Any opinons I had to mention this cause it is bothering me he was a dependable sub guy

Rick

2. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Here in MA $50 per hour is the going rate for a PU with a plow. And the time and a half on top of that. The guy is nuts.

3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but you are likely a little low at $50. I pay my guys $60 up thru New Years. If they are dependable and do good work I go to $65 to keep them that way. We are in the mountains of Colorado. We run 3 trucks of our own and have 2 subs. One sub is a first year, the other is in his second. They seem to like the deal.
    I would do a little research as to what other guys pay subs in your area too. (100 mi radius) Good luck... Scott

4. Canadian-Ron

Canadian-Ron Junior Member
    from canada

50-60 sounds about right to me

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Guy must be an idiot. That amount of money sounds good to me. He made a good buck for one day of work. $75x8=$600? Not bad in my book. Some people are never satisfied. Mike

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

For what he had you paid him plenty.if he wants big $$ he needs to get more efficient equipment,or go into business himself.You were generous giving him extra on xmas day.

7. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

don't let it bother you anymore, you were more than fair.
    when my accounts are done i sub for a friend at 40.00 an hour...ya it's cheap for someone with experience and the equipment i have but it is all the market will bear.
    dan

8. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Chief--if your gonna pay that much, call me and i'll send a truck up.... i think the guy is an idiot $600 for one day is a pretty nice
    x-mas present.

9. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

It's supply and demand.
    In that market, you paid him well.

10. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

We run in my opinion a pretty good bus. I felt that if my employees had to be out on the holiday, even though we are not huge, i felt time and a half was in order. I couldn't believe it when he complained, I only brought it up, because I ran into him the other day, and I felt like a total stranger. He wouldn't give me the time of day. I always try real hard to take care of the guys that work for me. We have an annual BBQ at our camp in the summer, and we do a christmas party every year. So I don't know I give up...

Rick

11. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

I'm in the same area and that sounds right on the money to me. Sounds like he is using that as the excuse and has another reason too me.

12. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

I pay my sub $65/hr (100hrs guaranteed). Do you guarantee ___hrs/season? Maybe that's his beef. Then again, it could be something else entirely, and he's just telling you that he's underpaid. Who knows?

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It doesnt matter what his beef is,if he had a beef he should have approached him in a professional manner,and told him his beef,not quit before a storm was coming,then blow him off.

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The rate is right on for my area, but 1/2 tons don't get hired by the major contractors here, especially with a 7 1/2' blade. They want 3/4 tons or better with 8' blades or more.

15. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

You paid well and time n a half on top. $75 an hour is what many plowers go after in a snowier area. I guess he wanted what you were getting for the jobs. Oh well he was only slowing you all down.

I pay mine a percentage of the accounts they serviced.

16. fordman

fordman Senior Member

That guy is an idiot, $50 per hour is more then fair considering the equipment he was running. IMO he was lucky to get hired in the first place with that equipment. All contractors I know wouldn't hire someone wit anything less then a 3/4 ton wit an 8' blade.

17. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I agree with John DiMartinio. The guy was not professional in his approach. He agreed to plow at the beginning of the season for $50 an hour and I'm assuming you gave him no stipulation on holiday pay. It's a foregone conclusion in this industry that no matter what you have to be ready to plow when it snows, unless you have a job that has schedules of on call and can rotate in shifts.

For this guy to stop plowing when you give him an unexpected bonus means there is something else going on there that isn't your problem. You paid him well, don't take it personally. The guy isn't a man enough to tell you what the real problem is and come and talk with you about it to see what can be done if anything. The problem is the guy doesn't respect himself or others. So don't take it personally.

18. hillworks7669

hillworks7669 Junior Member

Rates

I would say you were fair in your pricing, and especially if you gave him cash. If you send him a 1099 he will get 25-30% less. I would like to tell you to forget him, but I know in my area it is hard to get subs because we can`t count on snow every year.

19. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i get $50.00 for my F-250 LD with 7.6 plow.after he saw how well i plowed he bumped me up 2 times to $65.00.i get $70.00 for my 350 and $145 for my LA 8000 which im not using this year.but $50.00 is the starting rate around here.i only know of one place that pays $65.00 and one that pays $40.00.all the rest are $50.00

20. johngus

johngus Senior Member

that guy is an idiot!!!around here we get 55 an hour and have to wait over a month for payment.i wish I lived closer to you as cash the next day is an awesome deal.Don't let this moron get you down,move on and find someone else.