1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you look at snow revenue fiscal, seson or both?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by grandview, Dec 28, 2014.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So do you look at it just for the season or fiscal year or both?

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Seasonal because we make more in the last three months of the winter. If we did monthly it would look like we weren't making anything December and January

3. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I usually look at ours based on the calendar year. About 50 percent of our revenue is seasonal so month to month year to year it doesn't change much. Our other 50 percent is per push and is billed on the 1st of the month for the previous months service.Typically November is a very slow month and everything that is plowed in December is billed for on January 1st. So basically 5 of 6 months of per push work is billed in the same calender year anyway leaving only our slow month of November to be be billed in the previous year for the current years season.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

How do you look at it

I look at per storm For winter time Summer time is monthly

5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

When I first started I wanted to know how much I made for the season rather then calendar year.

Though we do not get snow every December, combined with that for tax purposes totaling by the year has taken the lead in importance.

Then the realization that if I made $200 January - March 2014 and made $100 in December 2014. Then $300 January - March 2015 and $0 in December 2015 does not matter whether I totaled by the season or by the year. For it will not of changed how much I made long term over the years.

6. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Our fiscal year ends December 31, so for tax reasons I look at the year. To monitor seasonal sales and compare them year to year I run reports that encompass the entire season.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Revenue?...

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The season,( 6mo.4mo or 12 mo) could be your fiscal year.

It does not matter, as all goes on what you consider to be your FY.

DEFINITION of 'Fiscal Year - FY'

A period that a company or government uses for accounting purposes and preparing financial statements. The fiscal year may or may not be the same as a calendar year. For tax purposes, companies can choose to be calendar-year taxpayers or fiscal-year taxpayers. The default IRS system is based on the calendar year, so fiscal-year taxpayers have to make some adjustments to the deadlines for filing certain forms and making certain payments. In many instances, even fiscal year taxpayers must adhere to the calendar-year deadlines.
    INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'Fiscal Year - FY'

The federal government's fiscal year begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is denoted by the year in which it ends, so spending incurred on November 14, 2010, would belong to fiscal year 2011. Fiscal years are commonly referred to when discussing budgets and are often a convenient period to use when comparing a government's or company's financial performance over time.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

We use quick books.

I can run any report I want to pin point revenue.

So I can break down each individual service we do and see where we are making money.

Individual expenses are harder to track monthly, but with Landscaping, I see where our cutoff for the season is and use monthly expense reports to see what our plowing expenses are,