1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you load your vbox?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowguys, Jun 19, 2008.

1. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

hey guys i been plowing for 4 years now I'm using a snow ex 1075 and im thinking i might get a vbox but my ? is how do you guys load your salt if you don't have a loader?
    do you guys just use bags and dump then in, or would anyguys around Chicago wanna work a deal out I'm on the north side of the city i know its only June but i wanna get a good start on getting ready for winter. thanks
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well if u cant get a loader, then try to work out a deal , or some places will sell to you loaded for around $80 per ton, we buy from a few places like this, I do have my own pile, but when the spreader is empty and ur farther away, fuel and time cost more, than to just pay an extra $35, to have them load you....if ur out towards cary i buy alot form LOWEs enterpries (no its not the hardware store) were are u located, i might be able to work out a deal
  3. elite1msmith

from chicago

oh, when the loader brakes....while you have the flu.....shoveling like 4 tons , by hand into the V box is great....you only feel like dieing for 2 hours after the fact

Bags cost way too much, If ur gonna do bags , then dont bother wasting ur money on the bigger unit, U can not preload these units, so ud still be spending the same amount of time loading them while you could be plowing.

If u cant swing the V box... I have a magnum Tailgate spreader, I love,... It is similar size to ur current unit, and will spread bulk....So what we did for that spreader, we kept refiling 5 gal buckets....each one is around 50 lbs, the lids helpped to keep it dry , we could leave it ready to go in the bed of the truck , and the cost after the first fill up was Bulk salt $ 40 per ton , instead of over $200 bagged
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You may be able to pick up an older bobcat or a compact tractor with a loader that needs a bit of work for not much coin and work on it when you have downtime so its all ready to go for the winter.
  5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Th eonly draw back is you need a place for the pile, and a way to contain the pile.
    Making the jump to bulk cost's money for sure.
    If you dont have a yard to keep a container, or a bin it may be cost prohibitive.
    I know on the front end end bags cost more, but if your not doing that many skids per event its still cheaper to run bags once you figure in a loader, bin, and a spot for your bin.
  6. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I have my truck filled by the local distributor. Same price if I shovel it into the truck, or if they use the loader.
  7. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Bags will either cut deep into your profit or lose jobs for you. Your salting price can drop quite a bit with more profit if you're loading bulk. Talk to a local business that has a yard and ask to fence in 10'x10' or 15'x15' area during the winter for your salt. Lots of businesses, like manufacturing, won't use outdoor storage as much in winter so you're golden. If you do any significant amount of commercial salting, seriously look into bulk.

Better yet, find a company that uses a loader/forklift/something that you can use their storage and loader every now and again. Work smarter, not harder.
  8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a forklift, and am considering pre-filling super sacks for the winter... I am also looking for a skid steer....
  9. elite1msmith

from chicago

the over head cost thing..it really is a big jump from bags to bulk, just be sure ur really ready, its a whole new ball game really

What i do for storage, I find a commercial buisness, or industrial building, that i want to plow, one that also has the need for salt, and has the room to store it.....

Contact them , give them a seasonal rate (a good one that they cant refuse) I have one account that pays me 6k per month, snow or not.....we spend 1500 to rent the machine for a month, We use that machine to both load , and plow almost the entire place, this way my truck isnt tied up plowing....my cost of rental on the machine is covered....the only money out of my pocket is for gas, and labor, and some salt at that location.... while i might only make 2,000 per month there....i save tons of money on salt that im spreading at other properties, also its in the middle of my route, so time and fuel are saved as well

We keep a connex box on site, which has a few drums of fuel in it, ( great idea) , pallets of salt, spare parts, tools, shovels, kinda make it a home away from home
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  10. elite1msmith

from chicago

the main idea behind that concept is to use ur machine (rented or purchase) to its full potential,..... plow and load, use the customers property to store it, tell them that it gives you a quicker responce time, and also a cheaper price for them.....and if u can sign a seasonal contract, make sure it exceeds ur rental price , plus dirrect expenses for that property
  11. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

youcanfind a beat up bobcat for 2-3k and then just get some of those concrete blocks to make a corall for the salt to load against. i dont know how much your salting but this set up works great for me as i have a place to do this. that way im loaded when i leave and empty when i come back. if your a bigger set up this might not work for you
  12. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

thanks for all the info guys im useing about 3 skids of salt right now but i am going after some good size lots next year and just wanna see whats the best deal the more im thinking i might just rent a loader for the 6 months and see what lot i could keep it on

elite1msmith im in the city im on the north side like foster and 90 are you close by any chance?
  13. elite1msmith

from chicago

i am not , however i do have a few friends that are closer to the city...ill ask my buddy,

If you still need to use the bagged option, consider the bucket option, it worker great for me for a while, just refile the bukets with bulk, instead of buying baggs, it saved me alot of money, and either way you still have to load by hand, so at least save some money.....
  14. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

what were you paying for salt last year?
  15. elite1msmith

from chicago

45 dollars per ton, at the beginging of the season, price did go up as the months and shortage went on

if i picked it up at Lowes in Cary they would load me, and you have to get on a scale but it was aroune 80 per ton loaded

Bagged salt was like 200 per ton with tax , or around that, I really dont buy bagged rock salt, maybe 1 or 2 pallets just to keep laying around as nothing more than a back up, for when the pile gets low

Im doing more experimentation with Pre wet systems, Im estimating a 20% reduction of salt useage , or at least it claims to be