1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you load up your sanders?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gtstang8706, Oct 7, 2011.

1. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Ok, so this is going to be my first year sanding. Im going to purchase a BUYERS Salt Dogg SHPE2000, and plan on installing it myself. Im guessing the actaul wiring will be pretty straight forward, but I am concerned about actually loading and unloading the actual sander. How do you guys load up your sanders and take them back out? Where do you store them? This particular unit weighs about 560 lbs. Thanks in advance!wesport

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I presume you do not have a tractor or loader with a bucket or forks. Do you have a friend that does? Maybe work out a deal to buy some sand and use his tractor.

My first year I found four trees I could back the truck between. Used some boat trailer winches, pulleys, and 3/8 nylon rope. Worked perfectly. I actually preferred that setup over using the skid steer.

You can also buy/build a steel gantry and use a come-along.

3. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Nope, no loader or tractor. I wish! I don't even know anyone with a machine. I thought about using a winch or come a long but can really figure where to mount that. Do you generally leave the sander in the truck All winter? If that's the case, I will just pay someone to load it and unload it at the end of the year.

4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i use a engine hoist! works great, its cheap. and safe to use. i load my hi way sander into the back of my 04 dodge.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Salter/sander should stay in truck from 1st prediction of snow until it hits 65* in May Just to be prepared and ready.

6. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

it literally takes me less time to install my sander than to hook up to a car trailer. back under, lower sander, 4 straps, plug in controller, go...

id rather not plow with a sander in my truck, much more visible that way. and less wear on both truck and sander.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

True. In my case that is not an option. At times I wish I had 2 trucks. One just for plowing and the other for salting. My unit with the liquid tank is over 1,000 lbs and the distance travel time between lots just would not be a option to do that.

I could knock off a bunch of time from plowing time if the salter were not back there most times loaded. payup

8. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

Trqjnjy- I didn't eve thin of that! Seems like a good idea. An engine hoist will lift that high?

9. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

yup my dodge sits pretty high. it does just fine

10. EPM

EPM Member

3 guys can easily lift that box into the back of a truck. Well, i dont know about easily... but it can be done. I have the 1500 which isnt much lighter and two of us can lift it in and out of the back of my truck. Couple buddies and a 12 pack is cheaper than paying someone with a skidder to load it for you.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why does the spreader slow you down? Plowing with weight is faster.

12. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I always used a forklift, skid steer or front loader. I have also done it with 2 come-alongs under a stand.

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I've been in your shoes and its a pita! How much salting do you have? I did all our rock salting with a Fisher 1000 set up with a Karrier 080 vibrator and had a local supplier load me up every storm with bulk. I just shoveled it into the hopper and away I went. Point is I did a lot with a tailgate spreader for years. I can tell you now that we have a skid steer and a shop things are like night and day. But like someone else said..if you can sucker a few guys for 10 minutes you should be able to load that.

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Well for small lots I would somewhat agree. But I do large lots. Almost all are 4acres plus. Before I started salting I could zip down one lane do a quick donut and zip back down throwing the other-way and repeat until lot was clear and someone would come behind me and salt.

Then I got the tailgate salter and although I plowed the same way when I would do a donut to turn around I either lost bags of salt from sliding off or the truck rear end took a lot more abuse so things slowed down some. But the ability to salt saved some time for the guy that use to come after me and I got more hours.

Now with the 2 yd v-box I have to go way to fast to safely control the truck in order to whip it around. So it is more like, stop-3-point turn- repeat until lot is done. I save time by not loading bags 1 by 1 but the turn around time now seems like it is adding a hour to some of my bigger lots unless I run empty then get the salt after lot is plowed which involves more windshield time.

Last year was my 1st with the v-box and hopefully I learned a few tricks to pick the speed up again for time it takes to get it all done in a comfortable time without bangin up on the truck to much.

15. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Not to hijack OP but im looking into my first REAL sander as well, not my tailgate rig and im wondering what you guys do if you have to get loaded with sand or salt or both and you dont use it all. then you sit with it loaded till the next storm??? cant waste it

16. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Not a good idea! Will freez solid! Either keep the truck in the warm garage or spin off what's left!

We also use a hoist to take the salters out.

17. Pennings Garden

from VA

That is a interesting way of plowing, if I would see any of our guys on purpose doing a half donut every time they would have to make a turn or sliding out the rear end every time they turn that would most likely be the last time plowing for them. No matter how open the lot is, a $44k truck is to expensive to be "throwing" around...

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have been driving farm trucks and equipment since I was 13. I have been plowing since soon after I turned 18. I have never plowed with anything but my own truck. I believe I know the limitations of what I own, drive and repair.

Interesting you would get rid of a experienced plow driver for the way he drives his OWN truck and preforms all the repairs himself. :dizzy:

If you are spending $44k on a truck you should look around more. :salute:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  19. gtstang8706

gtstang8706 Member
    from MA

I'm thinking I'll pick up an engine hoist at harbor freight and see how that works. I'll post what happens. Also, thx to everyone that helped me with my plow questions. I'm getting the new blade installed on thurs.

20. Pennings Garden

from VA

All our guy drive our equipment, We use no employee owned equipment. In the kind of work we do (shopping centers/malls) I think it looks unprofessional, but to each their own, every company can have their own look at things.

And 44k for a truck, I was being conservative, you go and price out any 1 ton pick up with a extended or crew cap with a diesel engine and let me know what you come up with, even on sale i think you'll be spending 10k more then the 44k I mentioned.

Back to the OP;

You can order warehouse shelving at Northern Tool that is 10' wide and 10' high, you can back you truck right under it and lower you sander in you truck with a come-a-long or a winch.