1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you 'line it up' putting on the plow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by PeterD, Oct 30, 2011.

1. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

So what tips and tricks do you have for getting lined up with your plow frame?
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you have any body lines on you hood you can use them as a guide. After you do it a few times you will get the hang of it.
  3. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

My plow is mounted to a cart, I park the truck in the general area and then roll the plow over. Plug and pin!
  4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

center crease on the hood lined up to lift cylinder works everytime. Except when I miss.
  5. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

boss makes a kit. http://www.bossplow.com/accessories Snowplow Sight System

also i heard if you but a dot on the plow light and a dot on the hood shield it can help you out. nail polshi or paint marker would work.
  6. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I line up the center of my steering wheel to the side of my plow light works 95% of the time.
  7. kmkalf

kmkalf Junior Member

neighbor uses a pallet jack to put it on and i clear a spot on the driveway near the edge by the grass and just line up that way
  8. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

Guys, haul yer minds from the gutter! I didn't say putting in the plow... :waving: :jester:

It does seem that everyone else is using the same techniques I use... My main problem with the truck I have now is that you can't see the end of the hood, (slopes down too much out front!) and there are not any good lines on it either (suppose I could add lines, right? :nod:) I've been using the tip of my wiper blade lined up with the plow light, but I still miss some times.
  9. leon

leon Senior Member

plow installation

If you do not mind spend the thirty bucks or so, one of those tennis ball trailer hitching things from Tractor Supply Company would work as they have a magnetic base with two small poles with tennis bals or what every they are stuck to the ends. If you have trailer or a log splitter it wont be waste of money.
  10. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

meh, my plow is tiny. It just gets man handled and pinned. :D
  11. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

Thumbs Up Yea, the first one I owned (a 7 ft Meyer) was like that. Drive near it, and just push it around. Today's plows are much heavier with the entire frame attached...

One thing I though of getting was one of those cheap (about $100) backup cameras. Instead of mounting on the back of the truck, mount on the underside front so it 'viewed' the plow attachment points... Then I thought get two, one for back and one for front... Then I lost it, thinking that perhaps even three or four cameras for all sides and angles! :mechanic:
  12. Don't forget a camera for underneath to see how much snow you have plowed already and one facing up so you can see how much is falling. You know...I mean since you were going that route already. Probably get a discount on all units.

I have an ex80 snowdogg and it usually lines up good and long as the jack is set at the right height when I remove it. Just line up center hood line and center of hydraulic lift and bump the plow. Its way to heavy to man handle so I have to make sure its lined up every time.
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

No offense, but I had no idea this could be a topic. I use the Ram badge on the hood and line it up with the lift cylinder.
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you need a booster seat.:D
  15. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Lmao im 6'6" Still cant see my plow when i hook up the plow on the kodiak...Lol well even when im plowing. We added 4' stakes on the end of it so i knew the position of the blade

Lol used to have a 2500 DUMP 2010 (LEMON) had a nav package. We took it to the dealer and they wired me a cam in the front so we could hook up the plow easier. All we had to do was click AUX and we could see the cam. Then in reverse we had the rear cam.
  16. LJ Dave

LJ Dave Junior Member

Just got my first plow and I use a small piece of masking tape on the hood and another on the dash to line up the driver's side aux headlight bracket. Makes lining up the plow a piece of cake. Have had the plow on and off twice and it's an easy one man job.
  17. stainlessman

stainlessman Member

I always ask my ex wife to stand between the headgear and my truck to guide me....but she has never been willing to do it though(hope my foot don't slip on the gas)..
  18. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

I'll admit that when I kept the plow in the garage (I don't do that anymore) I had a mirror mounted to the wall that reflected the end of the plow mount points. That almost worked, but the lighting was bad, so I shined a spot light into the mirror to illuminate the mounting point that that did work. However, the carport where I have the truck now doesn't have a place where I can mount a mirror.

I like the booster seat idea, next time I'm in Friendly's I'll steal one and try it! :mechanic: :nod:
  19. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I'm usually very good at just driving up and being aligned perfectly the first time, whether I'm putting on the plow or hitching up a trailer. It's one of few natural abilities I have...I don't think it makes up for being completely unable to draw or cut a straight line freehand.

That's how I operated when I had the 8 1/2 foot Diamond when my ability failed.

For me the hardest part was usually vertical and longitudinal. Vertically I realized I could hook up the chain and use the lift to do the job (obviously won't work on those nice ones with the pump that comes off with the moldboard). Longitudinally I would manhandle one side in, pin that side, then lift it up and the other side would fall into place. Sometimes I managed it without any manhandling at all, just lift and it falls into place.
  20. Jeffreyjr1414

Jeffreyjr1414 Junior Member

My prefered method to assist with miss alignment is, every time I take my unimount off I set it on a pair of 2x4s and a piece of plywood under the foot. Really cuts down on the "manhandling" when it needs to be slid a bit, when my back really acts up, I have been known to pull it into position with a pair of come alongs. Hope this helps