1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you like your tailgate speader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snowaway, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

So I am in need of a spreader, I only have a 3/4 ton and do not want to over load the truck. My questions are What brand do you have, What do you spread with it, has it been reliable, and would you buy another one.
    Sorry I know I have a similar thread but I feel it has been turning into more of a debate as to whether or not I should spread Pea gravel. this is what is used in Juneau Ak
    That being said I would like to hear some opinions. Thanks for a great site I have started off with a big handycap in knowledge and have had a lot of questions answered both directly and indirectly so a toast to those who know what they a doing and are willing to share. :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I haven't used too many spreaders as I sub out the the ice melt.

But, If you were going to spread pea gravel, you would probably want to find a 1 ton dump that had an attached spreader/ auger on the tail gate, or a conveyor V box of some sort.

Have you thought about subbing out the pea gravel and just get a small salt spreader for your truck?

3. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Yes I have someone lined up to spread for me if needed. I have shyed away from a few accounts because i don't have a spreader. I intend on doing the two that I have buy Hand until I can solve this problem. Sound advice considering there are almost no tailgate spreaders in this town, everyone uses a vbox. but I need to keep my cost down a little this year.

http://www.air-flo.com/product.cfm?id=E24F19E3-9F07-C14A-8604863D8DE58135

This seems like it might be a good compromise between the two. I am still waiting for them to contact me hopefully on monday.

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I use the buyers suv ( I had a bigger one but I can take this one on & off by myself )

Yes, I would buy a new one . their cheap to buy & repair .

5. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

I've had snowex, curtis and sno-way.......as far as a tailgate one the snowex and curtis are the same design and work great. The sno-way tailgate is new so my opinion has not been made up.

I would buy both the snowex and curtis.......and they have 3 different sizes for your different needs

6. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

I use a meyer mini tailgate spreader. Works excellent for the small commercial lots i have. It is easy to load with bagged rock salt. I charge by the pound so it is also easy to keep track of what i have spread. I also like it because it mounts to my receiver hitch and is easy on and off for garage storage.

I run an 8'6" Fisher EXV with wings and the salter on a 99 Dodge 2500 with Timbrens front and rear. Three years with this set up and seems to be the cat's A$$ IMO.

7. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I have a snow ex 1875 and think it works great... it has an adjustable auger and vibrator. 3/8" pea gravel and salt must be close in size and weight, ive never had a need to try it but can't see why it wouldnt spread if there were frozen chunks in it... mine will hold 700# whic is enough to cover about 35,000 sq ft ( salt anyways ) they must spread gravel heavier than salt???