1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you like your MVP?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dingo151, Jul 17, 2009.

1. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

I'm looking at trading blades this year and I'm bouncing between a Boss XVT and a Western MVP. I was wondering what the MVP owners think of their plows and what's went wrong with them? I really like some of the features of the Western (ie: remote, unimount system) the only downside that I see is they look like they weigh more that a comparable Boss plow.

Thanks
    Dean

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can do a search on MVP or Fisher XV, or browse the Fisher/Western forums. There are several threads. Overall, I like my XV. I've had a few issues, but would buy another one. It's heavy, over 900 lbs.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 8'6 MVP. No issues in the two seasons I've used it. I really like the one-touch controls for the scoop and V positions.

I can mount the plow in about a minute...same can be said for Boss plows though.

Biggest difference between buying a Boss or a Western is that you will have to pay extra to get locking cylinders on a Boss whereas they are standard on Westerns.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Another consideration is the Boss "push beam/plate" hangs much lower than the Fisher MM plates. Not a huge deal if you stay on pavement, but if you wander off on occasion, something to think about.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The biggest difference is the Boss is full trip and the Western is trip edge.

6. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Which do you think has the advantage, full trip or edge? I've heard that the full trip plows can't trip in V or sccop?

7. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

My buddy says he had a Boss trip and it popped the truck headlight out.

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I have never used a trip edge. A guy i worked for has a 9'6 MVP and likes the trip edge feature. As long as the wing springs and the trip springs are not too tight the V has no problem tripping in V or scoop. I hit a raised manhole last year going pretty slow, i say around 10 mph and it tripped. When in scoop and you hit something, the wings will move to the straight position and then trip. It sounds like it takes a long time, but it is fast. Someone had mentioned that you have to buy the Smart lock cylinders for the Boss in order to back drag. The MVP doesnt need that. You can still back drag with out them, depending on the depth of the snow and distance. If you do alot of stacking the wings tend to pull back ( to straight) without them also. If you go the Boss route, make sure you get the Smarties.

9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds to me that your buddy was going a little too fast to do that. Or he wasnt hooked up right.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I love my MVP's. I've been running them for about the last 6 years and no issues whatsoever. It takes some breaking in though to get them to clean well. That's the case for any V though.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Also the boss has direct lift, a definite plus, and does not have an iso-module, high dollar overly complicated wiring system. The Western will allow you to interchange parts between Fisher, Western, and DDizzard and the way the DD guys talk about the need to short chain that could come in handy.:rolleyes:

Fairy tales, I have had my full trip Vee tripped in both configurations.

How loose was the headlight an how tight does he have his return springs?

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Nooooooooooooooooooo, did someone say something negative about a Boss plow!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? HAHA Boss owners are like Ford drivers. Its the best cuz that's what I have!! J/K of course ;)

The trip edge straight blade was the best thing Boss ever offered. Now, if they'd do the same on the V's they'd have a good thing going. Say all you want, but having trip edges is quite an advantage over not havng them. I've seen Boss V's twist like a pretzel b/c they didn't trip. I've also seen bent MVP a-frames. Both can be blamed on driver error, but trip edges do save a lot. I like Boss plows, especially the new ones, but you can't argue the obvious.

ISO modules were also a great invention. I've never heard anything negative about them. Once and a great while we'll change one out, but its usually due to poor install.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  13. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

I got an MVP 8.5' poly this past season and loved it, no problems (but it is new yet). I went with poly to save some weight..

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you're talking to me I don't own a Boss, or a Ford for that matter:p:jester:

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No, was just generalizing, and kidding. It's just always funny, here or elsewhere when something gets said about a Boss plow, people jump in all fired up. It usually boils down to that its the only plow they've ever owned, but the best compared to others they haven't. ;)

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yellow paint sniffers fall under the same category. :D

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol :drinkup:

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I really get a kick out of Fisher Vee users bashing Westerns and Vis a Versa :D Fanatical loyalty to anything is scary.:eek: What is it they put in that yellow paint:confused:.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I must be exempt, my XV is Stainless

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You are indeed exempt, but it isn't due to that. ;)