1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you like this driveway!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Sep 9, 2006.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Western MA. The road at the base of the driveway is Route 9, which is a heavily traveled road. There is a curve when you go out the driveway and take a left, so people coming from the left would have minimal time to slow down. The grade at the base of the driveway is 35-40 degrees. There is a river running under the base of the driveway - which is why there is an unusually steep grade. (Wouldn't the cold air/water running underneath the DW cause more icing than usual??) What do you think of this one!? :cry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pic links often stop working from yahoo photo's. If they do just click THIS LINK.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I must be missing something. :confused: That would be a really easy one. I had to use the "This Link".

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

thats why we have plows

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Get a good start and takes a few bites off at the bottom first to make a run way would be my plan. I am very familiar with Rte 9, but at the Wellesley end.

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

LOL, what's so easy about it mick? I was looking at some post in the non-commercial section and someone was saying that his 20 degree grade was bad so i figured i'd throw this one out there. Actually it's my driveway and it sucks! A couple times i slid out onto the road, thank god no one was coming!

6. Mick

from Maine

It's just that you asked for opinions and I didn't see anything particularly outstanding. Really, it's all in what everyone's used to (perception). No offense intended.

7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

That looks exactly like a driveway i used to plow around here. Same situation, degree, everything. I would never do it again for even $500. Pain in the ass! When a driveway ices up, or packs hard with snow...even with the plow down there is nothing stopping you from sliding into the road. I know from first hand experience. Driveway was snow packed, iced up and had sand on it...i lost my traction and slid into the main road and got T-boned by another plow truck. Luckily there was no other traffic at the time. Ill never take another account that risky again.

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

No Mick, no offense taken, you just didn't say why you thought the way you did, and i saw your post (few months old) about the 15-20 degree grade (non-commercial forum) being a PITA, so i figured you'd appreciate this one. No offense taken at all.

HD: Yup, thank god i didn't get the 'T'... The name of the game is just salt the hell out of it! Before.. during... after. Once i started to slide back and dropped the SD blade, it didn't even slow me down.... I like the setup by the way. GM and Boss.... i'm a believer!

9. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

LOL, what does the green light next to my name mean? Does it mean that I suck? xysport

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Na that would be a red light. Green lights signify signed on at the current time.:waving:

11. Mick

from Maine

I said that mainly because of it being straight. While it's steep at the beginning (coming in from the road), like Banksy said, I'd take a couple swipes at the bottom to open it and get a short run up. Then there's a short run till you're on level road. Then coming down, I'd keep the blade straight with a load of snow in front of it, then push that off when I got to the bottom. Also being ready to shift to Neutral if the truck started sliding. But it being straight and a finished surface with a short uphill push was mainly where I was coming from. The other thing is we don't always get the whole impact from pictures.

I searched, but didn't find, the particular post you were talking about. But I've posted about one driveway I've got that I think is a pain. It curves uphill the whole distance with a sharp curve about half way. There was a thread back in June by DSqared about a driveway that I suggested pretreating and using a snowblower, but that was based on not wanting to scratch the surface and the curving.

12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Does shifting to neutral really help if you start to slide?

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

This helps many times. When I drive the salt truck I shift it to neutral when I am coming to a red light. I learned to do this on our 87 Dually that we most likely overloaded and the brakes were WAY to small.

14. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

I'm not sure. Hey sorry to get off topic, but tell me which of your 2 3/4 ton trucks is more rugged, supports plow better etc. What's the pro's & cons of each? Maybe I shoulda PM'ed you. I'm trying to decide on a truck for this winter. Many thanks

hillndale:)

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Read his post about the Fisher mounting system and I bet you can figure it out. LOL

16. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Was it in the "WTF" thread? All I know is he hates the Fischer MM system but like's the Chevy, but the Boss plow is on the Ford. I'm :confused:

thanks
    hillndale

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Later in the post he calls the Ford the black POS. I thought there was going to be a good war then.

18. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Yeh, I got that. LOL... guess that says it all. Still not sure of the Chevy suspension (for plowing).

hillndale tymusic

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have run a Dodge for the last 7 years. I am looking forward to using my 2004 Chev this year. Best truck I have ever owned was my 1994 3500 SRW, maybe I was just lucky but that thing was extremely reliable.

20. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Well you definitely got the right rigs for the job. I'm wrestling with getting outta my Chevy '04 1500 (6 cyl) 4x4 to get into something with a bit more umph. My truck is my main vehicle for everything, at the moment. I'd love to have a "beast" for work and another for cruisin' :D

thanks CET

hillndale

Sorry cjasonbr. I guess this is the meaning of "hijacking the thread". Wasn't my intention. That is a nice driveway though!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006