1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you like the V Control?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DaySpring Services, Mar 6, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im looking into either a Boss or Western V for next season. I was just wondering how you guys like the Boss Handheld? Seems like it would be kinda a pain having to push 2 buttons to angle the plow. Maybe im wrong? Another question, Can you tell when the blade is in the straight position? Does it stop momentarily there, or can you just tell that the blade is perfectly straight? Western's controls look pretty nice. Just things I was wondering about.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I love my hand held control.I keep it in my right hand and shift with the left my right hand never touches the wheel.As for working the control you have to practice a little bit. When I'am going to use it in the straight position I'll tilt one wing out just to use it like a scoop.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I use the Joy-stick, Just push it forward to scoop.

I like my Boss V, it's strong and it has fast hydraulics.
    I have a 98 RTII V.
    Sure, it has had a couple if little cracks, show me a commercially used plow that is 8yr old that does not have any??
    I can admit it, some times I can be a little hard on the equipment and the Boss just keeps on working fine.
    I've replaced the trip pin this year, original pump, motor and rams. I still have 2 original hoses too.

The hydraulics are fast on the boss and easy to control, so to get it to the straight position or any position is very easy to do.
  4. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I use the joy stick have it mounted by my left door post. I run a backhoe so it justs natural , i also have a touch pad i never have used yet. Ihave it for a spare just in case. Boss is well built and i think it has a heavier mount than western. I will not knock western they are a good product.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i like my handheld controller and have had no problems with it. like anything new it takes some time to adjust. bosses controller seems simpler than westerns hand held controller, less buttons and no modes to switch between.
  6. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Ive used the Boss smarttouch for a day when my controller broke. Its a good controller, easy to use but takes some getting use to it. I personally like having a controller tha tis in a fixed location thats why I got the joystick.
  7. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

My 9'2" V has a handheld controler. That was all that I was used to until we bought 2 used 8'2" V's last fall. They both have joysticks. I still like the handheld. Either way, they are very fast hydraulics and are easy to get the hang of. I don't think that I will convert the joysticks to handhelds just because of the price ($300), I believe. If I buy another new one, it will be the handheld. The only modification I did to mine was add about 3 feet of extra cord so that I could run it with either had if I had to. It seemed like the original cord was a little short. I accidently pulled one of the pins out of the connector one night. It took a few minutes of trouble shooting to find the problem, but it was an easy fix. Either way, I would probably buy a boss again.
  8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Handheld is great.

To angle just push both side buttons (a little trick I learned here) at the same time.

They came out with another new handheld. Allows auto raise and lower with double tap on up or down.

I hold the controller in my right hand and am able to shift fine. Left hand steers. I still have to figure out a mount for it to hang on though.

I've seen the Westerns/Fishers, and quite honestly I think they're a VERY far second to the BOSS.

I used to have the old rocker switch controller on my old BOSS. Liked that too. But the handheld blows that away. Hope the handheld lasts as long as the rocker switch control did.
  9. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Our handhelds are 6 & 7 years old respectively. No problems. They have outlived Smartlocks, valve cartridges and the several trucks that carried them around.
  10. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Love my BOSS V and I use the handheld controller. I find it very easy to use. I keep it on the seat to my right and use my finger tip to do waht ever I want. Never need to look at it once you get used to it. Fast and easy controller to use.
  11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You don't hold it?

How do you shift and operate the plow at the same time?

If it stays stationary, wouldn't it be better to use your left hand? This way you could shift with your right?

Just wondering, thats all.
  12. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Truck is an automatic.
  13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, so when you push into a pile, how are you raising and shifting into reverse with the same hand if your controller is next to you on your seat?
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hold control in right hand, shift with left.
  15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Good one! :cool:
  16. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Well I like what everyone had to say. Guess I'll go with The Boss!!
  17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

You're welcome for that tip TLS :waving: :D :D
  18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Worked well BTW!!! xysport
  19. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I agree with everyone else: Buy Boss
  20. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I have the handheld controller also., I use my right hand to run the plow and the left to steer and shift, sometimes I shift with my right but not usually.
    As far as ease of use ,with a little wheel time you will Love the Boss.
    just my 2cts.