1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you know when to stop?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Playboy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I'm curious to know, when plowing a parking lot and there are islands with shrubs or light posts, how do you know when to stop when they have curbs around them? Lets say the snow is covering the curb, do you just push the snow till the plow hits it?

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

basicly, slowly aproach. Normaly raise the blade to send it over the curb. dont want to do that if there is landscaping up there though.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Best thing to do in know the lot....place markers to designate obstacles that could cause damage to your truck/plow such as curbs, drop offs, or anything that could be buried by a pile of snow....Some guys even have different colors that mean different things, blue for curbs, orange for a drop offs, etc... It is all about knowing the area you are plowing. After a couple of time you sort of know where things are, but the markers are always nice reminders after a long fay/night of plowing...

When I do curbs where I have to push up and over them, I roll up slowly hit the curb, raise the plow till it clears then push the snow over it. This method works for me...but I also try to avoid having to plow over a curb, I would rather run parallel to the curb...

4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yes, you should mark your lots before snow season. This way if everything is covered, you can still see the outline. Just make sure you use stakes. If you use steaks, the dogs tend to run off with them. :cool:

5. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

i just run right into the curbs :) slowly of course.
    your not going to hurt any thing going very slow into a curb.
    also as I'm sure every one will say... GO SLOW , you can speed up on lots once you get to know them but at first take it as slow as you can ! your worthless with a broken plow and truck.

ok i hope i can explain this correctly... for curbs and islands i usually pull as close to them as i can then drop the plow. slowly turn into the island / curb until the side of my plow hits. then just push the snow along side of them until the island / curb ends.

another thing you can try < works very well for odd shaped curbs and islands that you can't get your truck into > pull up to the curb, and slowly back drag the snow, turn your steering wheel away from the curb swinging the front of your truck toward's the curb.
    you can get into some tight spots doing that .

I'm still new to plowing, this is only my first year . I'm sure some of the other guys can give ya some more tips on how to find curbs and get them clean . :)

< edit one last thing ... DO NOT hit a light post, even slowly !!! they can and will come down ! >

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

markers work great .This year we had a few made up with our company name&number on a flag. They are great for advertising and help to not damage anything.

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

dont depend on the markers entirely, on some of my accounts they somehow walk away. you could draw a basic out line of the lot and keep it with you.

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I like to stop short of curbs and do not push snow into landscape unless I am told to do so by the PO. I stack the snow just short of the curbs then come in and haul it away as soon as possable. I do not do landscaping and do not like to pay others to do it. I also do not like repairing curbs.

9. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Lets say you are plowing a open parking lot in windrows with about 3-6 inch of snow how much of the width do you experienced plowers recommend me taking and is it fare to say that when i come to where i want to pile the snow just go until i reach where i want to put it or if i spin? i heard that its better to find where you want to put the snow but if your heading there and your just about there and u spin just leave it there if it doesn't obstruct anything. Also what is a speed LIMIT when windrowing a parking lot?

10. Doc_77

Doc_77 Junior Member

in a large open lot you should split it in half .
    you wont have as much snow to push up onto the curb when your get to the end. you wont be working your truck as hard either < a very good thing ! >

if you can't get the snow over the curb, try running your plow along the curb you are pushing snow to. move all the snow you couldnt get over the curb to the back of the lot.

i don't think i explained this right , i wish i had a picture or something to show you. :confused:

it all depends on the lot. if it's smooth with no obstructions , manhole covers , noting that could hurt your truck or plow ... go as fast as you feel comfortable going.
    just use your best judgment and don't haul ass threw a lot you don't know !

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Our payloaders just scrape up the islands along with the snow. At the end of the season, the property owners look at us with a stupid look on their faces and say "Hey, weren't there islands here?" and we just reply "Got me!". :dizzy:

12. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I haven't been plowing yet, I am learning alot from this site and will maybe be plowing next season. So please don't jump all over me for my answer. I am going to take digital pictures of the property and stake them out. I will upload the pictures to a laptop that I will have mounted into the truck on the same idea as the police officers have their laptops mounted.

13. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I use the orange markers.I put a blue tag on the ones next to a storm drain so incase i need to open them up (rain coming etc) i know right where they are.Yes some do end up broken or missing but by the time that happens, i know the lot pretty good or the snow banks are high enough i dont really need them anymore.

14. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I would say sence of smell. I become one with the truck.