1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you know when to get out & plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RHarrah, Sep 10, 2006.

1. RHarrah

RHarrah Member

The problem is that the weatherman forecasts snow & it does not snow. Or there's enough snow at home but when I drive 5 miles away there is no snow. Or I get to the first set of customers and plow them and the next set has no snow. I disliked staying up all night to physically look out the window to see if it snowed as forecasted to know when to leave the house. It also severely cut into profits last year by driving around looking for snow and it only accumulated enough to plow everyone only once but I drove around checking a dozen of times. I live and work on the southern edge of the snowbelt and it snows when & where it wants to not an even blanket across the area.

There has to be a better way of knowing if the area you covering has enough snow to plow. How do you determine if it's worth the time to send a truck out short of physically driving the route to see?

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Get the wife to stay up and watch for the snow. Then you can go out in plow with a full night of sleep.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I will run that one by my wife to see what she thinks. I might be better to call her so I am at a safe distance. They don't mind spending the profits though.

4. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

I don't go out until the town DPW trucks go out. That is my trigger and I make it clear to all my customers. The town pays for a private weather forecast so they are usually accurate on their timing. Or have your wife wake you up when the plows go by :D

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Or have your best friend call you and let you know its time to go out. Or in my case, SALOPEZ yelling at me on the phone to get my @$$ out of bed and get going. :rolleyes:

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When the customers call and bitc&.LOL:jester: Honestly my neighbor is a golf course superintendent, they subscribe to a private weather service that's very accurate. I plan my time to their forcast.

7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Make friends with a guy on the local Highway Dept. and have him give you a call. They will be out and up regardless.

8. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I set my alarm for 3:30. My bed is right up against the window so I peak out. If it's snowing or there is accumulation I get up if not I'll either shut the alarm off or set it for a hour or so later.

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am really good friends with one of the DPW guys that does the route by my house. He honks the air horns the first time he goes by with the plow. My neighbors must hate it, but that is a real alarm.

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i usually stay up all night or take naps and get up every hour. but usually i'm up at 2:30 to be at work by 3. usually there is no need to start before 3 unless it's done snowing already. the only real way to get your sleep is to get a job at Wal Mart or sleep the next day.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

either stay up, or set alarm at 1 hr. intervals, or, if its snowing before i go to bed, im up and plowing all through the nite....my bed is being moved next to my window, so i don't have to physically get up to see if its snowing enough to plow!!

12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I also usually will take and put a can or something out on my picnic table out on the back deck so that when I look out the window at night it is easier to judge how much is out there.

13. go plow

go plow Senior Member

thats to funny i do the same thing!!! my house is set far away from the road to i cant tell how much snow fell, so i put rather a can or a yard stick out on my deck to judge the amount of snow that fell...

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

forget about the weather forecast, its always wrong-not sure how these private guys predict any better, aren't they all using the same data?

keep you route closer to home so you don't have to worry so much about some here, none thar.

know the approx time it takes to do your route and look out your window at the kids toy truck: if the wheels are covered up its time to go plow:D if not but it is snowing a little bit, set your alarm for another hour later and do it all over again.

always call your buddies and vis versa to give the heads up your out, and what the conditions are in their area.

this is why we should be getting a premium to plow, just wish the customers saw it from our perspective.

--once it started snowing hard at 4am, nothing was out at 2am when I last looked so I thought I was good for the rest of the night, then I heard the DPW go by:eek: I hate those late late night snow falls. My favorites are the 11pm-2am 3"ers

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You'll know when it's time to plow when Frosty the snowman knocks on your door and needs you to plow so he can get his 'snowmobile' out and get to work!:eek:

16. JLK 1500

JLK 1500 Junior Member

Accu weather. its a weather program that lets me know what there is weather happening at a preset zip code. I have to say so far it hasn't been that bad. it does have all the forecast crap that we know doesn't work. but i like the message service. This is all through my cell phone. I have a garage in the city of Buffalo and only plow in West Seneca. so far this thing has not let me down. it sends a text message to your phone and then opens the service right on your phone.

17. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

You mean Goddard isnt always right? :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

18. when to plow

been plowing since 1977,still get so excited that i dont sleep.been the first one out in this small town for years,i drive around with my measuring tape and when i get 5 cm 2" i drop the plow IT'S SNOW TIME!!!!!!!!!! georgian bay canada

19. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

What is everyone talking about sleep like anyone sleeps when they predict the first snow storm. We are like kids on christmas eve can't sleep. I would say the spotty snow showers just come with the business sometimes you get snow here but 2 miles down the road no.You win some you lose some

RCGM
    Brad

20. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Very true. My bigger client is a condo townhouse devleopment, and it is only two miles from my house, on the other side of the ridge. I might only have a few flakes, but I have to drive over to survey the property.

I remember last winter, they were calling for a sizable snow fall. I got up at 4:00am, looked out, NOTHING ! Went back to bed. Ttwo hours later I hear the town plow. They send an F-450 for our lane and he has to turn around in our driveway. The pony motor on his v-box wakes me up. Anyways, I hear him, and leap out of bed. HOLYCRAP ! We just got dumped on ! I am lucky it was Sunday, so I had time to plow out the church crowd.