1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you know if your pump is bad?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Tatorsalad, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Tatorsalad

Tatorsalad Junior Member
    from 52732

I have an older cable pump. The motor runs but the plow won't move. It was working the other day. I've to have the valving work on, and now they are saying the pump is shot and that is aireating the oil causing no power? $180 for a pump.
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

put a pressure gauge on the angle cylinder hose. less than 1800 psi = bad pump.
  3. rafa123

rafa123 Junior Member

no lead hey a question should i be worried if lift ram is leaking slightly
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

yup, try giving the packing nut a turn to see if that stops the leak, if that doesnt work then throw a new packing seal kit in it.

A leaking packing will draw moisture into the system, when you raise the lift arm you will push a little fluid out, when you lower it you will draw moisture in, one cold morning you will have a froze up pump.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

that is correct.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The gear pumps don't just up and die unless they have a catastrophic gear failure...which thats usually do to ice.

They simply gear weaker and weaker over time. Might want to have them check the O-ring under the gear pump before just automatically condemning the pump. Last I checked a new O-ring was $2. Much less expensive than a new pump.