1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you know if silenoid is bad ?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FaulknerLwnCare, Dec 11, 2005.

1. FaulknerLwnCare

FaulknerLwnCare Member

I am trying to find out how to tell if my silenoid is bad any info would help:drinkup: :drinkup:

2. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

take a piece of battery cable and use it to connect the two large posts. if your motor runs, your solenoid is bad. if it doesn't then its your motor.

3. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Why Do You Think The Solinoid Is Bad? Does The Motor Run? Randy

4. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

You can "jump" the solenoid across the two big terminals. If still no good, carefully (possible sparks and the plow might move unexpectedly) use a set of jumper cables to go from the battery side of the solenoid to the + terminal on the plow motor. You might also want to run the black half of the jumper cables from a good truck ground to the negative terminal on the plow motor. This will eliminate the solenoid and the plow cables from the circuit. If this doesn't work, it probably is the plow motor.

If the jumper cables do work, suspect the solenoid OR the power cable from the solenoid to the plow motor.

Before you replace the solenoid, make sure you also check the cable from the solenoid to the motor. I have a MM2 and where the plow power cable plugs into the grill outlet, the prongs in the power cable were no longer making reliable connection. Sometimes the plow motor would work, then at other times the solenoid would just click.

The dealer showed me that each prong is split and occasionally you need to use a knife blade to gently pry the two halves apart so it makes good contact when plugged in. Plow even responds faster now since it is getting full current.

Good luck,
    John

5. FaulknerLwnCare

FaulknerLwnCare Member

thanks for all your help i am glad i didnt go spend money for a new one.

6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Always come here first to ask your questions on repairs.We have bunch of knowledgeable members...

7. pastorarmen

pastorarmen Junior Member

Just another solenoid question

My solenoid is putting out 12 V on the relay's small terminal.

I thought the switch put 12 V into that terminal to activate the solenoid.

Needless to say my plow isn't working, but before I run out in the morning and buy another selonoid I though I would ask the question here.

It is a Meyer setup if that makes a difference.

8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

That explains alot. J/k:drinkup:

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The solenoid on a Meyer should receive 12Vt from the controller. The are solenoids that connect by grounding the small terminal. Did the plow just stop working, or did someone install the wrong solenoid?

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Ground

Check your grounds! Take them off, clean them, lube them, put'em back. 99% of the time anything electrical goes on me it is because a ground got loose or corroded.

11. pastorarmen

pastorarmen Junior Member

wrong sel-annoyed

I guess I got the wrong type solenoid.

Now to get one that takes power, instead of gives it.....

Nothing like a $9.00 education on solenoids