1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you know how much bulk you have thrown?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Smitty58, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Gonna be my first year doing bulk. Bags are easy to keep track of how much you've put down ,but what about bulk? Are there scales in v-boxes or how do you measure what you are throwing?
  2. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

what is the spreader brand you will be using and how is the salt being bought
  3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I find out when I get the bill and hope I've guesstimated enough to pay for the bill.:D
    I admit scales would be nice but I sub all my salting out and expect them to be honest about what is used.
  4. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Buyers Saltdogg shpe 2000, buying bulk.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you load up 2 ton make sure you bill out at least 2 ton. It's not an exact science but you get really good at it after a while and you don't even get out of the truck to check.
  6. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

It sure would be nice if some one would come up with some kind of scale for bulk salters.
    Mabey I will put on my thinking capp and invent one. I know some simi trailers have a scale built into them, i dont know how accurate they are. I bet there pretty expensive
  7. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I would think a guy could use a digital scale underneath the box. It would probably be expensive though. As far as billing out the whole 2yds, that makes sense but I won't be doing the whole 2 yds at one location so I have to guess how much bulk I'll be putting down at each location.
  8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I load up and then just guess by judging how much appears to be left in the box.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

One of my many wish list project items is a counter for the spinner.
  10. Palmeron18

Palmeron18 Junior Member

What if instead of thinking in terms of tons ( i know you have to in terms of determining 800/lbs per acre etc.) but instead think in terms of yards, when it is broken down in c.f. you could take exact measurements of the sander and turn it into a big measuring cup with markings on the inside of the hopper to tell you what your avg amt of material is left in yds/ cf whatever. you would have to rake out the load to level it on top but that would only take 5 min. seems like a waste of 5min in the cold if your used to guesttimating from experience but maybe thats one solution to get a close to exact guess for green horns like myself. ??
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The spreader never unloads the same way twice.
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Empty isn't empty? :dizzy:
  13. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Where I buy my bulk salt from has a scale that you get weight on. Nice dry salt store indoors and a scale. Decent place to deal with.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Empty usually means there isn't very mulch left most times.

I gathered the poster was looking to measure partial loads. Such as when one hopper can treat several locations......
  15. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 Senior Member

I have taken the spinner off of the sander and used a large bucket to catch the material as it comes out. Set a time frame of about 20 seconds then weigh how much you caught. You should be able to break down the amount of material you use per second. When sanding, keep count of how long you spread your material. For example if you end up with 5lbs in the 20 seconds your are using 0.25 lbs per second. I ran the sander for 5 minutes at a job site, therefore i ended up using 75lbs of material. These are just simple numbers and are not accurate to what you would actualy spread.
  16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Guesstimating works well for us.
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Time sounds like an easy way to me. The first time you buy/load the salter time how long it takes to empty it.
    An easy way to bill is have a fair minimum. Even if it's 500lbs. Just make sure you bill out a bit more then you spread. If you have conditions where you need to put down more then charge a bit extra.
  18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Charge per application instead of by the ton, then it doesn't matter how much you use... ;)
  19. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I was just going to say that.
  20. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

EXACTLY!! Wht not be professional instead of guessing? You already know what you were charging for salting the properties with bag salt, so why cant you give a flat rate for salting with bulk? You will be amazed how many people like the fact that a budget can be prepared up front with a flat rate instead of someone guessing and charging different each time.