1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you keep track of hourly rate ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eyesell, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

For years I've been trying to come up with a simple way to see how much $$ I'm making per hour, I try to take into consideration all the true costs, but sitting down at the end of the year and trying to add up all the hours I spent plowing, how much money I spent on material ( ie: salt, etc ) and the total amount I billed is really tough. As a matter of fact it's terrible, it's never close to accurate.

Is anyone doing anything to figure this out that can point me into the right direction ??

Your help is greatly appreciated !!

2. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

this is what we use

no name.jpg

3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Easy way

Are you familiar with Microsoft Excel? It is a very common computer spreadsheet. You can plug in your numbers from handwritten logs daily, weekly, or whatever. At the end of the year you can highlight the whole column of numbers and add 'em up, sort 'em, and many other fucntions like playing with your rates to see what effect they would have on each account, etc.... This is the bridge between small company and handwritten logs and big company with specialized software and handheld data entry units. Just a suggestion.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Excel is almost a daily use of mine, I never really thought of trying to input the data into that but that's a good suggestion. :)

5. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

I use Excel and QuickBooks Simple Start which is free.

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I made myself a little spred sheet goes something like this

Name Type Truck Loader Bobcat Sub Sand/Salt Salt Sidewalk Payout

abc seasonal 1h 0 1.5h 0 .5 load 0 45min $70diesel

123 per push 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 none

I also put my start and finish time in there.

I made it up in excel but didnt know how to post that here. I also write notes in there like
    5 cars left over night in parking lot.

Under the name of the business I put what time the place has to be open by.

At the end of the year I do a little sumary and it not only tells me how much time was spent but it allows to to judge which machine was most effecient and how to bid it or quote it the next year depending on how many times, how much salt / sand used.

This year I noticed already that compared to last year one site which I use the bobcat on was faster with my new blade on the bobcat then with the snow bucket. We will see how that goes in larger snow falls.

If you want me to email it to you pm me

7. timer

I use a digital cooking timer clipped to my visor.
    Anything 20min or less is charged the minimum.
    Over is charged by the minute/hr-rate.
    tc

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

sorry if i'm hi jacking but i figured what i have been making the last few years. keep in mind these are plow trucks that only get driven when it snows.....i charged $50 per hour...
    per hour cost:

labor $24
    work comp, medicare, SS $10
    gas $6
    total $40 per hour averaging 70 hrs per winter, that's a profit of $700 untill i figure in insurance and 1 oil change, then that leaves me at $0 profit. that is why i am not charging $50 per hour anymore and not paying my help "time and a half"