1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you incentivize employees to work safely?

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by Michael J. Donovan, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

How do you, as business owners, reward or promote your employees to work safely while out on the job? What do you do in order to ensure that your employees, and you, are performing your routes, etc. in a safe, effective manner?
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Don't want this to sound bad, but One of the things I do is remind them that they are always being watched, if not by me, then by the owners or a neighbor. We are always in the publics eye & people talk as well as this day & age there a good chance someone could be filming you. So I tell the guys this is just another reason to do things right & dont cut corners.
    My company saying I got printed on every shirt,hat,jacket ect. is "Safety Pays" It's true on every level, if your not safe then it dont pay cause if you get hurt you wont get payed, If your safe then it pays, with being able to work the next day,customers are happy so they give us more work.
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The #1 thing, Mike, is to lead by example. If you act unprofessional around your employees they're going to follow suit. Secondly, you have to communicate what your expectations are. Before every storm I have a mini-meeting with everyone and say the same thing over and over...be safe, take your time and slow down. I think it helps but we're not immune to breakdowns or accidents.
  4. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Since all our staff are subcontractors we start the year with a briefing that includes watching the SIMA video(s) and reviewing safety processes. (incentivised by coffe & donuts and give-aways) We insist all trucks have a reasonable yellow flashing light. Not a "soup can" light. We inspect lights, wiper & heater function before season and observe these during season. We talk about transport speeds and not racing to jobs. And we mention insurance rates & keeping them low by being safe.
    We did have one "close call" where a driver almost backed into a shoveler (gulp). So reflective vests will be purchased for each shovel crew memeber. I am ashamed to say it took us this long to do something simple for safety like vests. A close call is dramatic reminder to take safety to a proper level. Mea culpa.
  5. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

reflective jackets might due better. They will where them and be highly visible.
  6. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

thanks to those of you that shared your ideas, anyone else please feel free to post some of your ways in which you incentivize your employees to work safely

we are going to have a different topic related to safety each day this week in honor of Snow Safety Week...again, thanks and we appreciate any tips or input from all members :waving:
  7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I agree High visiblity vests are a must!!! Not just for shovelers even for drivers!! I dont think there should be an extra incentive for safety other then to stress that if your hurt you cant work & the #1 goal is to always go home as good as you got to work. If that aint enough that I don't think I need or want you as an employee. As for me I know that if I go down we all go down & I'm not afraid to take the extra time or buy safety gear even if it's on my dime.
  8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Everyone wears high vis bomber jackets when out of their equipment

Tailgate safety meetings while equipment warms up, we put a lot of emphasis on personal safety for shovelers, knowing their limits and how to conduct their job as safely as possible.
  9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Demand that your employees attend with you a ''DIG SAFELY '' seminar.I always attend ours--just last week matter of fact.They always have a speaker there who did not follow safety rules and now is paying the price--BIG TIME !!! Our guy was welding on a fuel tank with his senior partner who said they had no time to find out where the liquid level was inside the tank because they had a lot to do that day. He said ''I've been doing this for 30 years--never a problem.''That tank exploded,threw the speaker against it,all on flames,second tank nearby exploded,threw the speaker onto the ground which actually saved his life because some passer bys pulled his flaming body to safety.He was only given a 5% chance to live,years of therapy,family was uprooted,etc.All for a 3 minute call into the office that would have told them if it was safe or not to work on.By the way,the senior guy didn't make it.