1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you hold / mount your Smart Touch Control

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 353628, Dec 10, 2006.

1. 353628

353628 Junior Member

Looking for some advise - Trade up trucks and purchased a new plow. Had a strait Blade Boss with the Joystick. The new plow is a 8'2 power V with the Smartouch Control. I like the control but have been struggling with how to hold it or where to mount it.

The plow is mounted on a 2005 GMC 1500HD crew cab it has a center counsel so when it's not in use I can tuck it into the storage compartment. I find it awkward to hold it and shift. I though about mounting it on the left side of the steering wheel under the light switch but there really isn't much space there.

What's the best option?

Thanks - Steve
  2. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

I dont care for the control either. Im looking for better ways myself. May just switch over to the joystick for my straight blade. Ive given it a couple years now thinking Id get used to it but not so.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

The other day when i was toolin around doing some practice plowing, I just held it in my right hand, I didnt try my left hand, or strapping it to my leg.
  4. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Good question-- I would add that I think the ST 2 is very hard to use, regardless of mounting. Although I think Boss has an arm of some sort that you screw into the floor of the cab, raising it up in the air on right. Roll your mouse over the pics in the link and you will see the mount I'm talkin' about.

I too just got a Boss 8' straight blade (first plow) and had a very hard time with my thumb hitting multiple buttons cause there is little separation between the buttons. I too am considering the joystick. I spent way too much time having to stop and look at the controller everytime I wanted to adjust the plow. Definitely can't use it with gloves on.

Mounting of joystick would also take some creative construction method on the part of the user.

Would love to hear from you seasoned vets on what you use and how you set it up for ease of use.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I hold it with my right hand, use my thumb to control the blade, keep my index finger on the side of the controller, and the other 3 under the Velcro strap. Seems very comfortable and easy to control to me. I was very leary of the handheld at first, had tons of problems with control. Now I love it and wouldn't use anything else. It just takes time and practice to get use to.
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

HI Guys
    Last year when I bought my new truck I went from a Curtis joystick to the Boss Handheld. It was a little odd at first but I am now use to it. I don't wear gloves when plowing and for the most part I don't even look at the controller it just is second nature now. Yes I will hit the wrong button every once it awhile but so what's, the big deal. Its just getting use to something new, give it some time and you will find out you like it. I lay mine over my right leg.

Regards Mike
  7. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I hold it in my right hand and use my index finger for all the buttons.
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

9. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Anyone have a joystick for a straight blade they want to get rid of ??? Would like to try one just dont want to drop the $198 for a new one.:(

10. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

When I first bought my 9'2" V-blade, I tried the ST II handheld control for about 30 min & knew that I was never going to be able to use that thing... joystick control is the only thing for me,... but anyway, the problem for any control is where/how to mount it, so it's not only in the handiest spot for the user, but also so it's not in the way of anything else. I took my joystick & held it in the air,... holding it in the most ideal spot for my use, and decided it had to mounted to the front of the dash somehow. Anything mounted to the floor, console, etc, was either not very handy, or badly in the way for other things. My truck has a manual tranny, so higher & close to the dash was where I wanted it, so I cut up the standard floor mount, & made a mounting plate that I was able to bolt into the front of my dash, so the control was right where my hand would be when shifting... it's strong, & out of the way as much as can be for other functions, passengers, etc. This is what it looks like, going on it's 3rd year of use,... no problems at all, & it could'nt be better for me,... this is what it would look like for a 1988-94 Chevy/GMC install,... :salute:

PICT0001 (Small).JPG
  11. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Hey thanks for the info and showing the pic. Man that Joystick control is one big sonuvagun isn't it? My truck is automatic. Your set up looks good. I may try and utilize the cup holder some kinda way.

It's my first season out and getting use to the handheld unit might cost me a garage door or something.LOL- Can't take the risk. Far less room for error with the ST2. I hate not using the latest technology as I thought the ST2 would be the way to go. Again, the buttons on the Straight blade controler practically overlap each other.

thanks for the gret responses. I hope the OP got what he was after too.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  12. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

For the people that don't like the st2 off the bat, give it some seat time. I though I'd never like it. I loved my joystick on my blizzard. First 2 times plowing with the st2 i was having all kinds of problems controlling the blade. Then I began to get the hang of it and it grew on me. I'd never use anything else now!! It just takes time and practice to get the hang of, especially on a Vee.
  13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Right hand works the controller, and shifts the auto trans.

Left hand steers.

Right thumb works the buttons.

I mount it nowhere. I place the controller in the drink holder while I'm driving down the road, or when I get out of the truck.

Gloves??? :rolleyes:
  14. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

I was able to hang my remote from above. I went to walmart and got one those key rings that you put around your wrist. They look like a mini telephone cord. I am able to rest my arm on my arm rest and the controller hangs right there. Its right near AT shifter too. Its always right there when I need it. The only downfall is that it bounces around alot when going down the road

15. BobC

BobC Senior Member

I use mine the same way as TLS. Works great once you get used to it. I store on supplied dash mount when not in use. I enjoy the flexibility of switching hands or operating positions when I get tired after long stints behind the wheel kinda like changing seat position to relieve some stressed muscles.
  16. KetchikanBoss

KetchikanBoss Junior Member

Greetings from Alaska,

Originally, I fabricated this to hold the joystick control, spreader control, CB, and all electrical switches. There is a fuse panel mounted low on the front of the arm rest below the CB and all the wiring is mounted behind or under the unit. The arm rest is padded and relieved the pain I had in my neck from "reaching" for the joystick while plowing. I hope the pics help you with some ideas.

View attachment Image049.jpg

View attachment Image050.jpg
  17. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

A few years ago I was unhooking my plow from the truck and I left my controller on the seat in hte float position... my then 6 month old newfoundland deceided he would try to eat the controller. Thank god my hands were in the right place and I had quick reactions...he hit the right button and the blade came swinging around. Scared the living hell out of me.. learned my lesson on that one...

for the most part i just held it in my right hand or left it on my lap while driving with my left hand.. no big deal
  18. snowace

snowace Member

hand held

I like to hold it in my right hand and use my thumb that way i can move the plow while backing up and save time.
  19. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Wow, one heck of a console! Very ingenious. Thanks for the pics.