1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you handle your call outs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NPMinc, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Was wondering how some of you guys handle your employee/sub callouts? I personally am up monitoring the conditions/forecast etc and when I determine it is "go time" I make the call. Actually last year I started sending a group text to all my guys. I ask them to text or call me back within 10 mins to let me know they are up and getting ready. Found that the text is alot faster then calling one by one and waiting for an answer. Those that dont respond in 10 mins or so I will call ONCE. If they dont answer or call back before we are ready to roll, I will move on without them. They are moved to the bottom of the totem pole so to speak and if and when they do get ahold of me later they are usually sent to some of the less involved sites where they probably wont get as many hours. If they miss the whole event without getting in contact with me they are done working for me. Period, no excuses after the fact.(if u have a reason at least call and tell me) Note- I ask my guys to let me know ASAP that they wont be available for any reason when there is an event in the forecast, therefore no call means I presume you are available. I feel its them that want to work for me as a sub so its not my responsibilty to track them down, therefore I have little patience for not answering me for a callout.

2. skeleton2135

skeleton2135 Junior Member
    from 419

I agree, you either are reliable or not. This is a business and not the neighborhood kid trying to make some video game money. Tell them if they want to stay home and not be reliable and on call(ready), then you'll replace them during that storm-I wouldn't even let them plow for me. Better to know what manpower you actually have than have a army of "maybes". Maybe they will show up. Maybe not.

3. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Same here, I will send a text and if within 30 minutes if I do not receive a text back, then I call. If no answer, I go to a reserve list and the "reserve" just inherited the route regularly. What subs/workers fail to realize is that the work has to be done period!!! If they don't want to do everytime, then I MUST find somebody who will.

4. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

We use the same mass text method, "meet at the shop at X time, call back in 10 min to confirm." We usually give a call back before and another just before we leave, if they answer the second and say they are on they way we just leave without them and demote them to shovel/sander duty for the night. If a person is a no call/no show more than once, they get dropped to the bottom of the calling list. There are plenty of experienced operators around town looking for work that pays well, if a current employee can't respect the position, we can find someone that will, or I am always happy to take a few extra hours for myself! payup

5. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have been doing this buisness for 18 years and our process is this workers and subs, mass text you have 5 mins to respond if no response you are automaticlly fired no excuses you work for me not me for you this may seem harsh but in this buisness you have (1) shot to get the snow or ice taken care of, you are the guy comming to me for work you know what it takes for snow service (for we tell them what it takes to do this type of work) and I have a buisness to run and it does not say landscape & baby sitting service on the sides of my truck. Snow is not like lawn or landscape work if you fall behind in your schedule you can do it tommorow because with snow there is NO tommorow and I am never going to beg or keep calling someone to come into work if you are not responsible enough to take your job seriously then leave an I will find someone who would be happy to have a job and take this type of we do seriously.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Wow. I thought I was tough on guys. But I'm not heartless.

I don't like texting. Slightly more than half I key up through direct connect and communicate with them that way. They rest I have to phone.

I need everyone scheduled.....I will make more than one attempt to get them rolling. If they do in fact become a no-respond/no show I will find out why. I don't accepted too many reasons as to why they didn't respond ~ but there certainly is a couple that are legit, so it better be a good one that I can confirm.

Everything must and does get done without them. I understand truck and equipment break downs. However if someone continues to have issues with their stuff they will be dropped for that reason also.

7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I call everyone usually the day before of an event or if its a last minute event i'll call during the day to confirm their availability and then tell them the time to be there. Then I will usually call them one hour before they are supposed to be here. If they no show at the right time, I will call again and keep calling. They get one oh crap a season. If they no show completely they are gone. Too many guys are willing to work to keep around someone who doesn't appreciate his job.

8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I give a call, and they have up to 1hr to respond and punch in. Drivers punch in at the shop, and operators "text in" when they arrive at their location. You don't answer, you go to the bottom of the list. If you make a habit of it you simply don't get called.

9. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The guy that i subbed for text us with a 1 hour window to arrive at shop or first property.. he wants a call back in 10 min from time of text to confirm that we are up and moving... I never sleep when snow is in the forcast, so i'm normally holding my phone waiting for the "go time" text...

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We try to have a pre planned go time, obviously this isn't always possible, in cases where it isn't I or the other snow ops manager call out our captains, all by direct connect or phone, they are responsible to get their route drivers/subs and shovel crew leader(s) going. We are rolling trucks out of the yard in between 30-60 minutes.

11. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

Im a sub and im usually calling my boss asking him when we are going to roll. Its pretty cut and dry. If they are saying the snow will start at 4 am you should be ready to go then. If you need to call your guys more than once there is a problem. It amazes me how people that plow for a living go "oh i didnt know it was going to snow" :gunsfiring: