Snow Plowing Forum banner

How do you handle situations like this?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  grandview 
#1 ·
Say you have mostly residentials. Forecast is calling for 3-5 inches. Snowfall starts at 3-4am. I know you want to have most customers clear by 7am for work, but theres just no way you can, and you're going to get another 1-2 inches after that time. Most customers are not going to want to pay for 2 full pushes on just 4 inches. How do you guys handle situations like this?

#3 ·
Very seldomly will ANY of our residentials get done by 7 a.m.. All the commercials take top priority.
Just out of curiosity, how do you do a 3" trigger, and leave the rest? It seems that all you would have would be a glazed over sheet of ice from all the cheapos driving over their inch or two falls of snow. It sounds like a tremendous liability just waitinmg to happen. They glaze it, you plow it, and they go out and crack a tailbone at near the mailbox.

#4 ·
Roland;460466 said:
Say you have mostly residentials. Forecast is calling for 3-5 inches. Snowfall starts at 3-4am. I know you want to have most customers clear by 7am for work, but theres just no way you can, and you're going to get another 1-2 inches after that time. Most customers are not going to want to pay for 2 full pushes on just 4 inches. How do you guys handle situations like this?
what did you tell your customers you would do in that situation ?

i use to tell mine that if it started snowing very late ( around 3 or 4 AM ) i would only come by to clear the driveway so they can get out for work then come back later to clean every thing up and make it look nice .

#5 ·
Most of my residentials are real close to, or between my commercial accounts, so if we get a heavy snow (generally only needed if 6+ inches, and falling fast) that starts late we will drop the blade and just clear the end of the driveway, possibly one quick push just so they can get out, then off to the next commercial account. If its a 30 dollar push, charge them 10 for the opening, then charge the full shot when you come back later to clean out the driveway. If it is a drive that is out-of-the-way, then they get cleared when we get there.
hope it helps.

#6 ·
If it starts at 3 or 4am and is supposed to be done snowing a lttle later we will watch the radar and then make a decision on residentials. Commercials are done first and by the time we are done with them it may be done snowing so we do resis then.

#7 · (Edited)
Most folks...

Roland;460466 said:
Most folks can get out to work if the storm hasn't been cranking too long...so figure if there's less than 5 inches, and the town plows haven't buried the aprons yet, most can scoot out early and then you come around when your trigger happens (like others have said)

Always keep in mind, you can never make everyone happy all of the time........someone is always gonna hit you with that "I got stuck" or "I had to shovel" remark...
Last storm a client called and said don't worry about clearing for the morning because I won't be home, and then she went on to say " I will be home at noon though!"

So I plows her out between 11 and 11:30 am and she calls later and says she got stuck because the town trucks came right after me!! Can't win!!

#8 ·
I tell everyone that I cannot predict when the town trucks come by. So sometimes there will be snow at the apron but none in the driveway. If I have to go back then I go back and clean up after the town comes through. And no you can't win there is always someone that is not totally happy. If they piss and moan too much then I tell them ( politely ) to find someone else. I have enough business so one or two losses will only make my day shorter.payup

#11 ·
A few guys pointed it out. If it snows late more than likely the town hasn't even been out. So you clean out the 3 inches of snow in the drive ,but they drive all the way to work in it.The apron is the key to driveways keep them fairly clean so they don't get stuck and you won't get many phone calls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.