1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you handle it when...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by procut, Dec 4, 2005.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

Residential account, you arrive within a reasonable amount of time after the snowfall stops. However customer finds the need to clear drivway themselves. About 3" total accumulation. What do you do?
  2. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

Bill them for the trip to the location. At least that is what i would do, but it really depends on what your contract says
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Id bill them for atleast half your push price, it's inconsiderate of them to think that you'll just keep drive or assume that your not coming.
  4. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I tell them that if they do not need me that day to call me before I get there. I have it in my agreement that if I show up I get paid.
  5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Bill them for travel time--if you have a contract with them have it restated if they want to shovel anything less than 3 " let them--After the first wet heavy 2" storm they will change thier mind. You don't want an unhappy client because that could do more damage--I have two that don't have me show up unless 4" and the other is 6". Keep them happy and you may grow your client base.
  6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I tell them I could of been somewhere else taking care of someone who really needs the service, travel time expense isn't out of the question, should get that, especially since gas is so damm expensive.
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

Well, I'll tell ya what I do. For all of my regular "good" customers (those who want me to clear the snow whether its 1" or 12"+) I charge a set price everytime I come. For these customers I make out OK and they make out OK too. Sometimes the money is easy and sometimes it's difficult, but it washes out in the end. But..... For the customers like the one you mentioned, those who shovel when it's easy, but expect me to be there when it is difficult, for each service I charge based on the amount of time (which increases or decreases based on difficulty). In other words they don't save any money by doing it themselves on the easy days, cause on the difficult days they pay through the nose. I actually net more on customers like these cause every minute I am there, they're billed at a higher rate. Also I must mention that I don't have to drive out of my way for my customers like these.

Good customer: $25 each visit.
    Visit 1: $25 (10 minutes)
    Visit 2: $25 (10 minutes)
    Visit 3: $25 (30 minutes)
    Visit 4: $25 (30 minutes)

Do it yourselfer (when it's easy).
    Visit 1: $0 (0 minutes)
    Visit 2: $0 (0 minutes)
    Visit 3: 30 minutes $60
    Visit 4: 30 minutes $60

When I sign them up, I let them know that I charge $x per visit or $x per minute, with a high minimum charge. They can either be a regular customer or an emergency customer. Emergency customers are charged per minute. If you sign as a regular customer, but then decide to do the driveway yourself, you become an emergency customer from that point forward. Forgot one last thing I plow my emergency customers anytime I am en route and I see that it hasn't been done already. Sometimes they ask "can I call you?" or "can you knock and ask if I want it done?". I say "Nope. If it's not done when I get there, then I will assume that you want it done. I have alot of driveways to do and when they all need plowing, and everybody wants them done at the same time, I don't have time to do anything else other than plowing."
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  8. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

If you got a cell phone, give them the number and ask them to give you a call when the snow starts stating weather or not they will be shoveling this storm. That might help. :cool: