1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you guys store your plow?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TTBoy77, Apr 16, 2007.

1. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

just wondering how you guys think the best way to store your plow is? mine will probably outside and I'm not even sure i can put it in the shade. I know if I can put it in the shade I will but don't know what else to do. Should I spray the whole thing down with WD40 or "fluid film"?? What about the wiring? Any tips are appreciated and thank-you in advance.

2. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

we usually pressure wash them off, throw some wax on them, and roll them in the garage..for the wiring we put a little di-electric grease in the plug ends..

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If I were you, and had to store it outside, just wash it down good spray it all down with some Fluid Film, get it off the ground (set it on a pallet) and cover it over with a tarp. Thats about all you can really do.

4. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

I'm planning on prepping my plow for storage tomorrow.

I have a couple rust spots on the mount and some starting to form on the plow itself, but nothing to get overly concerned about.

What's the best way to combat this to make sure it doesn't turn into a problem? I was planning on painting the mount with black rust stop paint? Or should I use some of the free fluid film sample I received? Or Both??

The plow is stored inside a garage.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I wash mine after each use, and I store my plow inside the garage. Its waxed before storage....:salute:

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i just toss it in the back yard and wait till next year, lol

7. pyropierce

pyropierce Junior Member

First thing I do is wash it before I store it away. I keep mine outside next to my shed and cover it with a tarp. When I remove the tarp in the winter months the plow looks great, nice and clean. Just put di-electric grease on the plugs.

8. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

You can use Fluid Film as a di-electric grease. Bet you didn't know that. :)

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

grease on the plugs. leave it on grass uncovered out back. i did go out of my way to buy some rustoleum black at walmart to spray a couple spots on the frame and put spray lithim grease on the pins and other important moving pieces...

and i bought the fisher yellow to touch up the plow. twenty bucks for a can of spray. think next year ill just let it rust.