1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys set the feet vs cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BayviewLawn, Nov 28, 2005.

1. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

For pavement i usually set the feet a 1/4 lower than the cutting edge ..till the ground freezes up and then i set the cuting edge at the same height as the feet.
    What does everyone else do?

2. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Unless you are plowing stone I would take the feet off , they make good door stops.:) :)

3. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

feet? what are those.

I took mine off the day i got my plow. I try to either stay off lawn and dirt or if i have to plow them i just lift the plow a little and go. I find the feet limit the scraping ability more than i like.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

My feet are set.....

in the garage. :waving:

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

95% of the guys on here do not appear to run them... but I have a couple of gravel drives that I do so I have found that if I set them so the cutting edge is up about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch on pavement it cleans asphalt good enough and keeps from digging the gravel to much....

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Take those feet off and throw them in the scrap metal bin. :angry:

7. genrock

genrock Member

Feet are good to use if the pavement is rough and crumbling I wouldnt recommend running flush blade on a job like that. You run the risk of the owner saying you tore up his lot. Gravel roads and drives are a must for shoes and you want it up about a 1/4 inch depending on the depth of the gravel and how frozen it is. I myself do not use shoes on pavement but I have a rubber cutting edge so it doesnt tear the lot up as much as the metal cutting edge used too.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I keep my feet it boots!!:drinkup:

And away from any cutting edges lol.:waving:

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Do a search, this has been discussed a lot.

Just know that those who take the shoes off need to know better than to complain when their plow catches every line or crack in the asphalt...

10. Handyman

Handyman Junior Member

I have mine set so that they disperse some of the weight of the blade to help cut down on potentially marking or tearing up asphalt.

11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't complain, it shakes the wet snow off of the plow. :nod: