1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys mount and dismount a 3 pin Snoway ?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Tahoe99, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Few posts down there are steps written for one of the newer plows. I have the old 25D with 3 pin set up. I can get it on and off the mount, but it takes me I believe to long, especially the mounting part, driving up the truck and alligning it with the plow.

How do you guys do it ?

Thanks all.
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree, that my plow is harder then it needs to be. It has a support leg that is supposed to keep it upright, but it is way too short. Sort of useless without some blocks. Anyway, hopefully you have the a frame at the right height. I just drive up to the plow and when my truck nudges it I stop. Get out and hopefull I am in the bottom two pin slots. If I'm not, I push and pull the plow around till I am. I put the two bottom pins in, then manually push the light bar towards the truck till the top pin lines up and push it in. I've heard of guys that will use the down pressure to line up the top pin. I've tried that, but it pushes the holes past each other on my plow. I bet the newer plows are much easier to hook up. When I think about it, it isn't the easiest thing to hook the plow up, but all in all it doesn't take longer than 5 min. I've got a 96 25 series plow.
  3. yeah it sucks doesn't it! I just do my best to align my truck up with the plow, get out and see how far I'm off, and move my truck to where it had to be. Last year I didn't use the kick stand and just kept it resting on bricks, but I do use the downpressure to match up the holes for the center pin.
  4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

put the plow on furniture dollies and move the plow to the truck.....
  5. oldmankent

Furniture dollies don't work well when your plow is sitting outside on dirt or gravel.
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

That is true.....I guess I can't help ....
  7. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

Thanks guys. One thing I picked from you is to push the light bar manually to allign the center pin - saves the trip to the cab. I built a t shape dolly out of 2x6 and some HD casters from Home Depot, I'll try to use it since I have black top driveway.

Good luck all.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

put the back of the mount (where the bottom 2 pins go) on a small floor jack. You can move it to line it up easier and raise or lower it to line up the pins. Use down pressure to line up the top pin. The floor jack should move on the gravel some too. Hope this helps
  9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I keep my plow in the garage on three dolly's. I pull the truck up, move the plow into position and then use a floor jack to raise it to height. Once the two lower pins are done I then life the entire plow up so the center pin is easy to push in.

I rely on the dolly and jack to move and make easy - nothing worse than trying to force cold metal that clearly out weighs you!
  10. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

I got an old 24d unit,,, it has a hub under the center,,, fits in my big floor jack saddle good enought to hold the whole unit balanaced,, to pivot around to the truck in the pole barn,, Hook and Book! when takin off,, i put jack under it, in same spot,, swingit around to 2 bricks and 2 jack stands, and there it sits till needed again!
  11. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

I have a 24D and 25D and have both on dollies with and opening in the rear of the dolly to put the jack so I can raise the frame to the right height. Seems to work the best for me, too.
  12. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

Well, mine is a 3 year old MT, but the mounting sounds the same as yours.

I drive up till i bump the plow and get out and check. Sometimes I have to backup and move over a bit. Once I get one side pin lined up I get it in there. Then, i hook up the battery cable to the plow and I can use the remote to line up the other side (using the side to side pivot). Be very careful and take your time. You could very easily hurt yourself and win a Darwin award doing this. Once the second pin is in, I use the DP to line up the top pin.

Then i have to remember to lift the plow sightly and lift up the little foot that holds up the back of the plow. (SO i dont shear off the pin backing out of the driveway) Only did that once when i first got the plow 3 years ago.... :D

Takes about 5 minutes - even in the cold....
  13. oldmankent

I would imagine using the side to side pivot to mount up the second bottom pin would really only be useful if you have a wireless controller. Wonder how I would do it with a wired controller. Just guess. I usually just man handle the plow to line the pins up if they don't. The beauty of a light weight plow.
  14. retoocs555

retoocs555 Junior Member

I have a gravel drive and put the plow down on an old sheet of plywood. It helps a lot keeping the plow flat and the foot where it should be.

I usually pull in and get one side pin in. If the other side isn't already lined up I push the plow a bit with the truck to get the other side in. Then lift the light bar for the top pin. DP works for lining up the top pin too.

I have more trouble getting my old style power wires pluged in than getting the plow on.
  15. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 9' 25 series ht with the small stand, i drop it on my concrete shop floor when not in use. It lines up perfect, perhaps because im using on a cabover?
  16. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Whenever I drop the blade I put a cinder block (painted orange) right next to the drivers side tire. When it goes back on I just line up the tire with the edge of the block and it slides right in.
  17. RBACAS

RBACAS Junior Member
    from 12801

Very easy

That is a great idea! :salute: And if used in combination with a bottle jack to support the plow frame at the same height it was dismounted, all heavy brawn work is eliminated.
  18. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Junior Member

Another thing that helps if you have a spot that you typically always drop it is to get some cement and pour a small pad. I had some extra cement on a load for a sidewalk pour and I had them pour me a small pad where I drop the plow. It's only large enough for the foot but it makes a big difference. The plow is still on the gravel.

I love the idea of the cinder block as well.

19. 68dodgeramman

68dodgeramman Junior Member

Are these mounting procedures the same for a brand new 26 Series?
  20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No, easier check the videos on the web site