1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys keep your shovels out of the way for sidewalk crews?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMHConstruction, Nov 22, 2015.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Trying to fit 4 blowers, 2 spreaders, about 25 bags of ice melt and about 10 shovels into an 8' bed. I was curious as to how you guys that have sidewalk crews keep your shovels handy and organized. Mine always seem to end up all over the bed where ever they fit, but I've had bags or blower or something thrown in and broken shovels in the past.

I was thinking finding a large pipe or something and putting them in each corner by the cab. I would have one for scoop shovels and one for push shovels. That way the guys aren't digging around for stuff breaking everything.

If you guys have pictures of your set up that would great too! I've been looking around on here and most threads are either plows who have a shoveler or a box truck for all the equipment. Box truck would be awesome, but I have no need for one other than snow, and we don't get enough to justify it.

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

What size blower are you using? That could change how to set it up. (Since there are four I am going to assume single stage)

I made an organizer (no photos) that allowed the blowers to go down the middle secured from sliding towards the sides by 2x6's on each side (on end) and then i put some 2x6's down the center laying flat to keep it from sliding, and then 2x6's from the ones on end to the sides of the bed to keep everything centered. Left room for salt bags along the sides and shovels could fit too.

3. JMHConstruction

Yes they're all single stage. I have 2 bigger Toro blowers and 2 smaller old snappers. When snow is too high for the snappers (about 6") I don't use them and throw my 28" 2 stage that takes about as much room as the 2 snappers did. I am swamped next week, but think I'm going to do some "dry fitting" today and see how I can organize this a little better. Last year I subcontracted a guy with a truck to do some smaller jobs, I rented out 2 blowers to him. All my walks are bigger (stip malls) this year and he didn't want to be an hourly employee, so he's gone and I've got everyone else in one area at a time, knocking everything out as quick as we can.

I need something that I can drive past a group of 2 guys and let them quickly grab some ice melt, shovels, or whatever they need, and then drive to the other end and do the same. I think I'll try your dividers and see how it goes.

4. jhall22guitar

The middle was almost a box (but the front/back 2x6's) were laying flat so you could roll the 2-Stage blowers over them.

I was able to fit a craftsman and a cub cadet in a 6.5' bed. Then to hold it in the middle (in my chevy) there was a spot on the sides behind the rear wheels to make it so you could secure a board, so 2x6's from the middle "box" to that and it never moved. Worked pretty good for me.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I'd love to see a pic of this set up! Buy a trailer or get another truck lol Sounds like an overloaded mess.:dizzy:

6. jhall22guitar

I wish I had a picture, I will have to do some digging as I might on my old laptop. I never carried more than 8 shovels, and 15 bags of salt was my max, so it could work for him. It was quite organized.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

How aboot a ladder rack type approach that is only half the length of the bed. You could either hang the shovels parallel to the bed like string trimmers or perpendicular to the bed also by having the rack shorter than the length of the bed you still have great access to load blowers in the back.

Something like this

rack.jpg

8. jhall22guitar

^ I like this idea alot actually.

9. JMHConstruction

That may work. I have a set of racks somewhere already. Might give this a try. We were supposed to have a warm front move in today so I was trying to wait for that, but now that I've waisted half my day I think it's time to do something. Time to look like a crazy guy setting up snow stuff on a sunny 40 degree day. I'll try and remember to get a pic if I get everything worked out.

10. jhall22guitar

Better than being the crazier guy setting everything up for the first time during the storm. Thumbs Up

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I think it'd be pretty slick, you can also mount some work or blinky lights light's on it too.....
    Did you ever build the wings for your snow blower?

12. jhall22guitar

The more I think about the rack idea the more I like it, especially if it was for a sidewalk crew dedicated truck. You could make it so the rack has lights like buff mentioned, make the rack have a top "shelf" with sides to hold some other stuff up there that might be needed. Put sides on it with clips to hold the shovels and then the sides could also keep some snow from getting into the bed.

Overcomplicated? Yes, but prepare for the worst right?

13. JMHConstruction

No still haven't got around to that. Was hoping I'd find scrap metal from other jobs but never did. I also only have my 110v welder here. My dad was using the arc at the family lake house and it's still there. Anyway, excuses don't get things done, huh? I did get the cardboard mocked up. Does that count? lol

14. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

How big is this truck, and how many guys are in it? Sounds like you're trying to do too much with 1 truck.

15. JMHConstruction

Half ton quad cap big box. I am most definitely doing too much with one truck, but gotta work with what I have. I get around 8-10 storms a winter and only have a sidewalk crew, so getting another truck is out of the question (if I did it would be 3/4 ton and I'd put a plow on it, so it wouldn't be available anyway). I have 5-6 guys but everyone shows up at the first job and starts there. Then I'll drive 2 over to the next job to start that and leave them on site with 2 blowers, some shovels, a spreader, and 9 bags of ice melt (spread through the properties). There are 2 places next door that they will do. I'll drive back to the first place and help them for the storm. If I can't make it work I'll have to add one of the guys truck on my insurance and have him take some stuff. I just didn't want to spend any more on insurance.

16. JMHConstruction

This year is a little more stressful on me. The contractor I had used for years sold his company to another guy so he could retire. The new guy rubbed me the wrong way with his ego and telling me how to run my business, so I didn't go with him. I already had a problem with one contractor trying to screw me on pay, so I found another. With the last minute change I got the jobs the other walk crews either couldn't handle or didn't want (probably both).

In the past I had a bunch of small walks and I could use a sub to do half and my guys to do the other. The small places add the $$ fast. This year it's 3 huge lots and they take as long as all the small ones, but don't pay as well. To be honest if it weren't for giving the guys a little cash to help with bills and such I wouldn't even be going out.

These walks should have equipment on them that I don't have, or need more guys to get them done in a timely manner. Problem is they dont pay well enough for either. Next year I will have time to find another decent contractor (assuming there is one out there who understands that their subs have to make money too).

17. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Just my opinion, but I think the added expense of another truck, or subbing/leasing a truck for the winter would make up for itself in the extra efficiency. Also, just an observation...... With this single truck set up, you're putting all your eggs in one basket. In the event of a breakdown or if God forbid you would have an auto accident, you're going to be Screwed.

18. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

In the past weve taken 6"-8" pvc pipe and attached then to the back of the back rack running vertical up and down, then the shovels, brooms, ect. Put them into the pipes upside down with the handle down and shovel part in air. This works great as it keeps them organized, safely out of away and not geting broken, and takes up as little space as possible. It is also the cheapest and quickest way to make something to handle them

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  19. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

If you run the snowplow shovels they come with their own clips that hold them and you screw them anywhere and hold them tight. Could even add a second clip and that shovel is not going anywhere....

20. JMHConstruction

That was my original plan. I ended up doing some cleaning and laundry (go ahead with the jokes) why the ol lady was shopping, so I didn't get around to it. Maybe next weekend or I could set up some work lights and do it in the evening...damn you short winter days!