1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys keep windows from freezing open/closed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JFon101231, Feb 12, 2014.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I generally run with the front passenger windows cracked an inch or so (visors work great to keep most direct wind/snow out). But I prefer to leave them closed when I park because truck stays outside and sometimes its a few weeks between events. Problem is then the windows tend to freeze closed, and they won't go down until truck has been running for 20 minutes and by then sometimes it is starting to fog up. Do you guys treat your windows or the felts or do something else to prevent them freezing?

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Take some de icer, spray on rag, wipe on window edge when you park.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I park inside

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

my truck has this feature called defrost that I turn on full blast when I warm my truck up. it keeps the windows from fogging up.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I just shut the door with the heat on and let it do it's thing to keep the windows or doors on my pickup from being froze the next time I need it. For those of you who park outside, I'm not sure what to tell ya. :D

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Not all trucks defrost side windows

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Huh?..........

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

The only time I've had my windows freeze shut is in an ice event.

9. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

Since it sounds like this truck is purely used as a work/plow truck, I might try to close the windows on waxed paper like you would use for cooking. Put the window down half way, fold a length of paper over the glass and close the window on it. I have never tried this as I park inside, but I think it might work.

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I park inside most of the time but this has happened, I start it up and go back inside for 1/2 hour or so. It beats not being able to see.

11. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

I park inside 80% of the time… But wether I'm parked in or outside, I ALWAYS let truck run 4 at least 20 mins b4 I go anywhere… I can't say I have ever had an issue with frozen windows…? But I would say that the deicer might work, or even a lil bit of any type of lube may do the trick??

12. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

huh is right.

I don't have an actual setting for side windows. the heat coming out of the defrost setting is plenty to defrost all windows and windshields. mine will even keep the back windows clear.

I've never heard of vehicle in general that will actually defrost side windows with a setting/feature.

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well to keep ice sticking to windows or the mirrors spray 2/3 vinegar 1/3 water I do this to my Mirrors and I add it to my windshield fuild

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

My dodge doesn't have vents pointed to it. Ford does

15. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

neither does my dodge but they stay clear running the defrost full blast.

16. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

WD 40 on weather strip = no more problems...doesn't take much

17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Is that a new option? What models is it available on?

18. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My 06 Chevy and my dads 2011 GMC have them on the very side of the dash between the door and the dash, our old ford had them on the door. I think our 2002 Dodge had them but i can't remember...

19. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

This works very well, especially on door molding. (and the wife's car, including the trunk.) Surprising how many times I've had all the doors froze shut... while I was doing it I also did the window rubber. Now I WD40 just about everything.
    I used to use a can of deicer. Never liked the thought of the stuff dripping all down the paint and inside the door.
    Can't tell you how many times I put a ceramic heater on a chair draped with a moving blanket from the top of the truck over the chair. Really fun when you get it open but the works stick 'open' so the door doesn't latch when door is closed.
    Hated that truck!
    Finally started doing the 'cheap harbor freight tarp and bungee cord over the cab' thing... nice for the windshield and doors but looks hillbilly sitting in the yard. :laughing:

The 03 Dodge trucks do have a vent pointing to the side windows... only works on the front bottom corner to see the mirrors, not the entire window.

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

There is no specific "side defrost" setting, but if you look at the END of the dashboard with the doors open, most (if not all) vehicles have a small grate there pointing at the window. It probably comes on with the mode set to either windshield of FEET.