1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys haul your bagged salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by firefighter1406, Jan 29, 2010.

1. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I only have one job that takes salt, so I only carry about 15 bags at a time. I used to have it a box I built all the way to the back of the tailgate, and had a fiberglass cover over the top. My problem is now that I had to buy a new snowblower and it does if under my cap like the old one. So now I took the cover off and put the salt in my toolbox. My problem is now the weight is in the middle of my truck instead of the rear like I want. Any suggestions on how to keep the salt dry and toward the back? I don't want to leave it out in the open due to the bags getting hard but I am out of ideas. Any help please.

Sorry for the long post.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I took a pallet and built it so it was in between the wheel wells with braces on either side. It has a 1 foot high piece of wood on the side facing the cab to stop the bags from sliding forward. I load it up and they stay right in place. I then put 5 sand bags in the back between the pallet and tailgate and I have room on boths sides of the bags to put two snowblowers or a snow blower on one side and bucket for walks on the other. I can grab the bags and easily fill the hopper.The tailgate spreader is hooked into the hitch. I would not worry to much about getting the bags wet. If you are only using good dry bagged product that is stored indoors and load your truck just put a small tarp over it and once you are going to go work take it off. I have the truck all loaded up when I know it is going to storm. I park the truck and put the tarp over it. I wake up at 2am and we have 3 inches of snow on the tarp I just pull it off and they are completely dry. Snow is not going to accumulate on them while you are driving or plowing so you dont have to worry about them getting wet. The bags are made to repel water and the short amount of time they are in the elements is not going to ruin your product or make them get hard. Now if you buy cheap product that may have been stored outside from a dealer then you are already screwed because moisture will most likely already exist in the bags and they will just freeze up once it gets cold enough. I think you are worrying about it too much. Just make your self a simple containment unit in the bed of the truck and you will be fine. Good Luck.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Cover the bags with a plastic tarp

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Thats rice grandview not salt...:jester:

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

If the material is in sealed bags, it won't harden for quite some time. Just stack it in the back (I use a simple 2x10 behind my rear wheel wells for my sand bags in my 2WD daily driver) and you should be fine. Tarp it to keep the snow and ice from building up, and you're set.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same guys different season!:laughing:

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Haha, I strap a entire pallet of salt to the front and back of the bed and start plowing! But I use to use the 2x4 method behind the wheel wells before I started spreading a lot of material like described above.

9. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I prefer to carry it in the bag !!!!!!

I also place them in the bed of the truck and carry about 20 at a time we carry what we are going to use for the day and can stop back and get more as needed! I have only had to do that once but it was due to a lot of ice that morning!

10. JMS

JMS Member

I have a high rise cap on my truck, no different than having a salter in the box for visibility, just learn to back up with your mirrors,I put about 15 40kg bags right over the wheels.