1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys do gravel driveways?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BEER TIME, Oct 20, 2010.

1. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

I purchased a used boss v Rt2 and a 96 f250 package deal to do my driveway. Its about 1700 ft of gravel. Just was wondering what you guys do so that i dont peal all the good gravel off of it. I'm thinking just raising it a bit but was wondering if theres a better cutting edge designed for this. Thanks

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

You can raise your plow a little when you do it, you can make a PVC pipe for your cutting edge (do a search you will find the how to), or you can backdrag it. Either way you are going to get some gravel that comes off. It will also be easier to do once it gets nice and frozen and cold out. You will have more problems in 30 degree temps when the ground hasnt frozen yet.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Throw on a set of plow shoes and you'll be fine.

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Raise the plow up

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I live on a 1/4 mile long gravel private dr. and when it comes time to plow it I always wait a few days for the neighbors to drive on it before I plow it. Gets a good base to it quick, and I usually click the up bottom 2 or 3 times for the first few times just to make sure though.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I plow mostly gravel drive ways and I don't use shoes. I just drop the plow all the way down and go.

7. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing: thats how it should be done :nod:

I raise my plow a bit

8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Don't drink beer before you plow gravel driveways.

9. ajslands

do you get alot of rocks in your piles?

10. ajslands

:drinkup:
    why? :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

11. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Yea, just bump the plow up a bit and go. You don't need to lift the plow off the ground or anything. Just drop it all the way down and float it, then give the up button a quick tap or two. Away you go.

Camden makes a good point with shoes. And it is the easiest answer, but I've had mixed results with shoes. I'm personally I'm not a big fan of them. They can be a necessity for early snows before the ground has had a chance to freeze. For a beginner, they can save your grass. And your A$$.

Here's what a couple gravel access roads look like when an RT3 go's across em with two taps to the up button.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Raise it up a little if the gravel is soft and put it in float if its froze. Shoes won't help if the gravel is soft, they dig in too.

13. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES! I'm really interested in the whole pipe theory, can anybody really confirm that this works?

14. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I get some but it's not like you get big piles in the Spring.

16. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

The worst is when the local kids get into your piles and throw it all over the lot. Especially the nutty ones.

The pipe thing actually works. Especially if you're going to be plowing over grass. It's not necessary tho? Kinda a bugger when you want to scrape some pavement and have to take it off? Lots of work when all you have to do is push the up button?:drinkup:

17. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

I use this technique:early in the season, especially with lighter snows I leave the gravel area go. The snow packs down and as the season goes on tightens up as temps really drop. Shoes up high on larger early snows allows the same base. This serves me two purposes, 1 it freezes up the lot and protects the gravel 2. It helps fill in ruts,holes etc. When it comes to edges/sod I always try to hit the edge with the blade parallel to the edge and lift the blade slightly to keep from chewing up the sod . Just my thoughts

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  18. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

19. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Yes the pipe thing works great, I use steel though. Just dropped a piece of 1-1/4" sch 40 at the local fab shop to slit it lengthwise for my new blade. Last one I did with a sawzall and a shortened blade, but decided not to do it myself this time; a) sawzall didn't go real straight, b) if you want quick on/off I found you need two cuts, as the pipe springs together after the first one. Last time one 6'9" cut took out the switch in my sawzall. A grinder would work too but pretty slow, local shop has plasma, quarter- half hour of labor and I'm good to go. Will fab brackets to hold it on myself.