1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you guys collect your payment?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hankhill, Jul 27, 2010.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

Hello, I am going to be new to plowing this coming season, I very much like the trigger method and would like to set 3" but how do you guys document each time you plow and give the bill to the customer? because the customer could just deny it and say you didnt plow at all then what?:confused:
  2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

There are different weather service cos out there that give totals in your area. In my contract I go by NOAA to get my totals... Just curious, why are you getting into plowing? What type of accounts are you looking to get?
  3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

New customers are cash or check right after, regulars get billed about 7-10 days after storm. Of course everyone will be new to you but if they want you to plow all season I would bill them. You will learn which ones pay quick, which ones wait a few weeks and which ones you should stop plowing.
  4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we bill monthly, but we charge a penalty if people take longer then two weeks to pay
  5. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Most of my customers will pay by the month, others will come out while I"m there and pay me cash, and while others I need a pitch fork and a torch to get my money
  6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Monthly bill, they send a check in the mail. This should be clearly outlined in your contract with the customer.

3" trigger? Must a regional thing, but we'd never get away with anything over 2" here, most are 1" trigger, 4" open.
  7. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Monthly send a bill they send a check, Never not been paid since I went on my own in '98. 3 inch trigger too much unless it's done and you're plowing and clean-up all at the same time. Just my opinion.
  8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

12 years without a non-payer? Go play the lottery! LOL
  9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep a detailed including exact start time and exact end time, and services provided. Keep an eye on local news channels website, or noaa for exact totals for different areas. We bill monthly, on the first, most due within fifteen days.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go seasonal. then bill them equal payments for the season.(do I like seasonal oh what?) :)
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I send bills out within a few days after the storm. I like this method for the simple fact its fresh in my/customers minds of what went on and why, in case of any questions.....plus I like getting paid quickly.
  12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Billing will be done on the first of each month for the previous months services for per occurrence contracts, and on the 15th of each month for seasonal contracts. Payment is due within fifteen days. Past due accounts are subject to a 1.5% months finance charge (18% annual). In the event that Owner defaults in payment obligations Contractor may discontinue any further work until default is satisfied, or Contractor may terminate any or all portions of this contract and will then seek other manners to recover unsatisfied invoices for goods and services provided. Any failure by owner to make payment within contract terms for services received will relieve Contractor of complaints by Owner for future delays in completion of services. All questions regarding bills must be received by phone or fax within 7 days of receipt of bill.
  13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would agree with Grandview, then you don't have to chase what is owed.
  14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Seasonal is certainly easiest, paperwork wise. And per push needs to be billed within 24 hours of completion. I'm a big fan of electronic submission--it's quick and (more importantly) verifiable.

When in doubt, remember this little tidbit: "the sooner they get your bill, the sooner you get their check".

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

I ask my wife to send them a bill....haha
  16. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

HAHAHAHA I'm with you Doc, I can plow snow for 60 hrs, but wife is the Queen of the computor. She can bring home the bacon and turn it into loin ! !
  17. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

18. hankhill

hankhill Member

thank you very much for all the replys, I like to do landscaping in summer, and usually find something in the winter but had this plow and got my truck so I figured I would use it, I'm not interested in doing big commercial jobs, just residential, I figured 3" would be good because maybe the customer wouldnt want to pay for just 1 inch removed but it looks like I have much to learn, I am hoping to set up contracts with residential customers for the plowing, do you guys think it would be bad if I billed every two weeks? I like the idea of sending out a bill for each time I go to plow but that would just be wasted money in stamps because if snow falls three times a week then that would be three bills to send for each customer and who knows they might get confused, unless I wait for the snowfall to end and then send the bill making sure to include each of the days I went to their property?

Edit: on a side note I see a few mentioned NOAA, I was thinking about either buying a cb radio or a police scanner with the 7 channel NOAA capabilites to permanently keep inside the rig, do you think this is a good idea, also another question that comes to mind, what do you guys do when you have already plowed a drive way but it continues to snow and you have to go back? do you charge twice or just once?
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Need to determine if it is residential or commercial lots. It will be 2 different billing methods and contract stipulations.

Residential wait until storm is over unless a premium price is paid.
    A 3" trigger will never keep commercial lots happy and could easily bury you in time.
  20. dumbyankee

dumbyankee Member

The best billing advice I can give you is this. My municipal accounts are billed weekly, its their choice, Commercial and residential accounts I bill monthly, Any one that has to be billed at the end of each storm will be charged an extra $5.00 paperwork fee. When plowing, keep your mind on the job at hand, do the paper work when you get back to the office. Keep an event log in the truck, (list of accounts) check them off as you service the account, make a note as needed of extra services, (so you can bill for them) and remember its all about your customer service skills