1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys bid?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Bossman 92, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am working on a few bids right now and don't know which way to go. Up untill now I have always done one price per push, no matter the amount of snow. Now the biggest lot I have is not quite 3.5 acres, and most are much smaller than that. The bids I am working on are for larger accounts, 1-2 acres. If we are calling for very much snow I start at 1.5" and keep plowing untill everything is done, so I dont know if there is any need for a price for 8" of snow. All of my customers expect me to keep the snow from piling up, and like to see me when it snows. I have turned in several bids in the past breaking down a price for them, ex. 2-4 4-8 8-12 ect... and have never picked up a customer doing this. I think it almost hurts me turning in a bid like this.

How do you guys structure your bids?

Also what computer program are you guys running?

I run Quicken, and it adds up my plow price, the salt price, and any other extras I put on there, making the bid look high. This is especially true when I show a price list for 2-4 4-8 ect. I turned in a price on a lot last year and the total was over $1100! It should have taken me about an hour to do.

Thanks for the replys in advance, Bossman
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I'm not sure about Quicken, but in Quick Books you can edit your estimate template to remove the bottom line total, just print the line item totals.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I do seasonal contracts. I try and figure out a per plow price then multiply it 22 for a seasonal price. Then I divide it by 5 and bill them monthly.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have gotten accounts because of my simplistic approach to bidding and billing. I figure out what I need in order to do the job and that's my price whether it snows an inch or a foot. I suppose in more competitive markets I would get eaten alive doing it that way but that's what works for me.
  5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I bid them the way they want, I have some accounts that want a one time push. So we charge them the total amount of snow the storm dumped and don’t plow in tell it stops snowing. we have others that want us to plow with the storm after 2" is on the ground and plow with the storm so meaning if we have to come back after another 2" is on the ground after are original push we charge for a 2" push two times. we have others that want a one time push but have a demand that it be clear by a certain time, I have in there bids that if we have to come back due to the storm dumping a another 2" or more after there set time that we will put them back in the rotation and be charge for a another push for what ever the storm had dumped after the first push. So make a long comment short, I still include my amount break down 2"- 4", 4.5"- 7", 7.5" - 10", 10.5" and above.

I do not know about you big spenders on the quicken and quick books but I found a sweet program for 100% less then those two and it does all my bid, invoice, late pay tracking and has a ton of late letters for PIA no payers!!

this way your not screwing yourself for not charge more on the high amounts.