1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you get work in december

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ryanlconst, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ryanlconst

ryanlconst Junior Member

I just bought a new plow for my truck a couple of weeks ago and I only have 2 small parking lots to do. Everyone I talk to already has contracts and they say I can bid next summer. How do I get last minute work? I cant even find anyone to sub for.
  2. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Getting work in December

Residential would probably be your best source at this stage in the game. Many places have already had to plow so your definately a little late to the game this year.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still try an ad in the paper. Also for subbing call everyone and tell them your available as an emergency backup if they need one.
  4. ryanlconst

ryanlconst Junior Member

What happens if I tell a bunch of contractors I can sub and then a few call and I can only help one? I dont want to make a commitment and then have to back out. Also we have not had our first snow fall yet. possibly tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply.
  5. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I saw another thread and someone talked about putting locks on your competition's plows. Then when they don't plow the lots you can stop by and get a new account....:jester:

all kidding aside, advertise in your local circular for Residentials. Once that first snow falls the resi's freak out and call you. They (I mean ME) never plan ahead and wait until the last minute...;)
  6. onemanshow

onemanshow Junior Member
    from alaska

Pretty late in the year.I would try to find some contractors and at least leave your name and number.Most everyone has their crews lined up already.Good luck.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First come first served. This way you can try out a few different subs you may not like working with one.
  8. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

start a bidding war. tell all of them that you have mutiple offers and the one with the best deal wins. payup

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if its your first yr maybe look to sub for somsbody else.