1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you get employees familiar with route?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by theguynextdoor, Feb 6, 2009.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

This year I have 2 trucks. I drive one and my cousin drives the other. He does an excellent job. He does the 35 houses in my nieghborhood while I do the other 30 and lots outside the neighborhood so it works out well. I have already been asked to bid on more lots, houses next year and will probably run 3-4 trucks assuming I find good help. How do you guys with 3, 4, 10, 20 trucks get your drivers aquainted with their route and properties? Do you drive around in the fall with each one and show them the properties, how to do them, where to stack, etc? Obviously they should have some experience prior to this. Or do you give them a list of addreses and say don't screw this up? I trust my other driver completely, but I still go around and drive by the houses he does just to make sure and so far I havn't had any problems with his work.

Thanks for any input. I'm trying to plan out how to expand and maintain that expansion while providing quality customer service.
  2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

When we go and put out our flags out in the fall everyone comes along... Then I can say do this or that , where to pile snow etc. For the driveways the 2 drivesway guys both get a gps and a list I make out and do them in the order it says... It's slow going the first few times...I don't know though that everyone can be taught, some people seem to never catch on...
  3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Yes thats a good way ,make sure they keepa log on the times they take so you can see if there is a problem with the way they are clearing. Sometimes I get them to take over a older route and put my experienced guy on the new sites. That way I can compare the new guys time to the more experienced workertymusic
  4. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I plow 120 driveways with 4 trucks, and have employees in 3 of those trucks. We stake our drives in the fall, and each person stakes their own drives to become familiar with the terrain. Routes are generated by computer, and even on the first winter of one of my rookie drivers, it only took 3 storms for the learning curve to be complete. You can never teach the intricacies of an individual storm, but with time and practice comes experience. We always start rookies on the flat, straight, no obstacle drives, which are few and far between, but do exist!
  5. Bmsnow

Bmsnow Member

for the most part i do the same, they stake the the driveways again to be familiar with what there doing, then i build the route pretty much the same every year or if the operator feels more productive one way "WE" change it.. then I # each driveway in route give them a list in order w/any special request or warings next to each drive.. then i run the route once w/the operator... I usually give them 3-4 sifts to get the speed down...
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I know most of the places from summer work but this year my boss took me around to some of the new accounts and showed me where to stack the snow. However I always seem to end up having to plow a place Ive never even seen before. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to find a house in the middle of the night with 6" of snow on the ground especially when some of them dont even have house numbers on there houses.
  7. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking I would go stake the driveways with the drivers before the snow season. I plow myself so I wouldn't be able to go with each driver during the first few storms. Ideally I will find some guys who have plowed before.