1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do you get downpressure with boss?`

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i know everyone says they have downpressure

and i know it lifts the front of the truck when your outside mounting the plow

but how do you get it to do this while plowing? the down button just drops it or floats it

so theres never any actually down pressure from the hydraulic while plowing?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This is always a fun subject....

:popcorn::popcorn:

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You cannot get down pressure from boss plows like sno-ways. Like 2cor517 stated this is always a fun subject. Do a search on the subject.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You sure about that?

This subject makes me miss Kevin. :angel: RIP

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If that switch does it, just wire a switch inside your truck to jump that switch (trigger it from inside the truck) and you have down pressure. I know its not that simple but I'm just saying.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Who's "everyone"?

None what so ever.

7. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

I thought Jersey was getting hammered again? I was looking forward to all Ramair's crazy scenarios he ran into during the course of the storm.

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

but is it possible with a Boss plow?

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Yes....... Like was said there is a switch on the plow, just move it inside (or use relays under the plow cover). and figure out how to hold the presure without running the motor.

10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

makes sense, to hold the pressure you'd need to add a valve or two. maybe need to add a small manifold to put those parts in, and might cost a couple hundred bucks. but makes sense.

11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

No added valve or manifold... doesn't the plow "hold" pressure when you are driving around with the plow up. Have you ever tried to move the tower when the plow is shut off?

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Just buy a back blade

13. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

You wouldn't be able to get it hold pressure without the motor running. It has to be in float mode for the switch to work so if it is in float you will have power going to the cartridge holding it open. You would have to figure out how to activate that switch without being in float.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If your talking backdrag edge, not even close to the same thing. How does a backdrag edge peel up hardpack?

If you mean a rear mounted blade, that's an unfair comparison. It's an additional piece of equipment, and several thousand dollars. Hard to justify if you're doing a few rural drives. And I don't think they can cut hardpack like DP on the front will.

Hmmmm.........

:popcorn:

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Back blade will cut hardpack, but are you talking DP plowing forward?? Backblade will out scrape any backdragging plow with DP.

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Once again, wire that switch- it basically reverses the lift piston and pushes down (motor running).

17. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

well that answers my question

i didnt think it did, but so many people talk about plows that have down pressure these days lol

18. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Boss has a one way ram on it.......lifts up, doesn't push down, ever, it will let the plow fall down, but not push down.

If you reverse the piston as you say.......it will never lift:realmad:

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Don't the newest series have a double acting cylinder?

20. Indy

Indy Senior Member

don't know.....just throwing monkey **** around:cool: