1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you fix gouges in asphalt curbing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Maleko, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, if not mods please move to the right forum.

I had a customer call me today to come look at damage i did to their driveway
    Oh boy i think ..

So i get there and one side of the drive has asphalt curbing, And there are about 15 to 20 gouges in it from i guess the edge of my plow. rangeing anywhere from surface scrapes to about 1/2 inch deep . They want me to fix this. I have never been asked to or actually repaired curbing in the past.

Is there a way to repair this without ripping up the whole curb and having a paving co. come in to make a new one. it is only cosmetic. there is no cracked or broken curb anywhere just the gouges.

Any suggestions? anyone have to do this before?
    Thanks big time in advance..
    Maleko

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You don't... You refer them to a paving contractor on their dime. Hopefully your contract covers this. Thumbs Up

3. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

we have a lot of asphalt curb at our buildings, we have a similar issue often.. my dad had usually gone around with cold mix and just filled in where the curb had been damaged, similar to how they have been fixing potholes i assume. looking into that would be my first idea, not sure how it will look or how it is done, but hopefully it helps? good luck!

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

A few small scrapes in the curbing is just part of the game I would have explained this to them before the plowing season.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I would just use some asphalt in a caulk gun and use asphalt sealer[cheap crap] so it's all 1 shade of black.Then tell them you won't be plowing them in the future because if they can't understand that proper plowing is snow removal from curb to curb and plows will make gouges in crappy blacktop curbs,they are pathetic and unrealistic.

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I agree with all the above. But, if they are good customers you wish to keep, then do what I do and buy the cold patch and fill, use rubber mallet if need be, and seal. I look at it the same way as I do sod, load it up and put it out in the spring. Keep em happy, keep em for years. But price accordingly.. I use urethane curb guards to prevent as much as possible.

With that said, set your pricing to cover $50 a year in repairs-if its a $20/25 drive, let the owner repair and move on. If people want cheap-let them have cheap!

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I agree, I would just black top it with a coal tar, it is a bit thicker then normal spray, tell them you will do it for half price, unless they just want the curbs done, but try and upsell them for the whole drive.

8. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Thanks for al the suggestions.

ill try something ..

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

10. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

There's a patch you can apply with a putty knife, this stuff it dries a flat black. If you leave the cover off it will thicken up. I use it on my driveway might need a couple coats then tell them to seal over it.
    I think it was made by quikreet in a green/white tub - got it at Homedepot. Never used it on vertical but it might work. Its just like doing drywall but no sanding got to make it smooth while you work it and clean blade often.