1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Do You Do It

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by emayer23, Sep 17, 2006.

1. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

they seem stupid but how do you have a full time job and plow when the snow falls
  2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

lots of hours and alot of dicipline. Makes for a nice paycheck too!!!!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You pray to the snow gods that it only snows when your home.
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

It works well for me, I work afternoons and the boss knows if it is a really heavy snow I will be on vacation that day. I also have a friend who is retired and who covers for me when the timing of the snowfall is off. I also have a friend who has a 04 2500 HD with very little work so I can use him if the snow falls during my work hours.

Regards Mike
  5. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

i work 7-5 im a contractor for comcast (cable t.v) som day i dont have time for lunch let a lone plow i guess ill just drive the neighborhood at 5am hoping for the best
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Planning, planning and planning. Only take jobs that can be done before or after work hours. It generally snows during the night here. I only did driveways, so I'd have only enough so they could all be done before I had to leave for work. Usually start out about 3:00AM. Then I'd try to have a few that could wait until after work (Summer residents, etc). I also had job where I could be late and nobody cared so I'd just take leave time. The last couple years before I retired, I'd take all morning and make my schedule for the afternoon (still taking leave in the AM).

It's like having a second job. Some people say they just don't have time while others figure out how they can make it work. Guess who is successful in life?
  7. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

tnanx for all your help im sure ill be back asking questions before the end of the season any other advice would be appreciated i guess ill just hope for the best snow at night and ill work the rest out p.s. anyone with or knows of work in weymouth ma. or close surrounding area would be appreciated thanks again
  8. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

It's called a well organized and disciplined lifestyle. We in Michigan call it the job of single man. I myself am married with children, so I call it stress relief ( the plowing part at least ).

It has been done for many many years.:salute:
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

emayer23 they seem stupid but how do you have a full time job and plow when the snow falls

Plowing is a job.
    A little snow and the right accounts and you will no longer need to work for someone else.

So it's easy... lol,,, It just needs to snow...payup
  10. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

it doesnt snow in july in mass. and my son has to eat then to:dizzy:
  11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I had a hard time balancing my full time job and snow plowing so I told my employer I cannot work from December to March. I said I can work on a day to day basis during those months if you want me around. At that time, I was making $1,000 a week. Before I left, I made sure that I structured a snow plowing business plan based on 4 months of income: Dec = 4 weeks = $4000, Jan = 4 weeks = $4000, Feb = 4 weeks = $4000, Mar = 4 weeks = $4000. I made sure that even in the worst winter, I would come out with $16,000. Now I didnt work nearly as much as 50 hour weeks all day every day in the cold, I worked less than half the time, and made more money. Now I could have made that much more money if I worked the day job, and plowed, but I run 5 trucks every time it snows. I didnt want my snow plowing business to suffer so I could go into my $200 a day day job. I am certaintly not saying that my way is the best way to do things, but there are certaintly easier ways to make money in the winter, and my way is snow plowing. Here in MA, you are guaranteed 10 plowable events per year. Even last year, where it was awful and no snow, my 5 trucks rolled 12 times throughout the winter. I am hoping we get about 20 plowable events this winter. Good luck to you.
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O'k. now think about what services you can offer to your clients in the summer.

spring clean up.
    lawn service.
    tree service.

Make your self available to your clients year around.
  13. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

A couple of questions for Gicon, can you show how you structure a business to make $16,000 guarranteed? Do you have seasonal minimums on your contracts? Also, how do you arrive at a guarranty of 10 plowable events in MA each year? Last time I check Mother nature wasn't handing our any warranties on winter.

My advise would be to work out a schedule that enables you to be able to work a full time job and be able to manage your accounts. Also, having someone else with an opposite schedule as your to plow would also be great...work a deal that you plow for him when he is at work, and he plows for you when your at work. I just can't see giving up a guanateed income, $200 per day or however much, to push some snow when and if it happens. This year is projected to be an El Nino year also, which means warmer than normal up here!

I'll admit that I don't have the number of clients that some others here have so it's easier to work a day job, but I staill have to balance it all, and it can be done.

To sum it up: don't quit your day job!
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: When it snows I have a 24/7 job:waving:

That I clear a little over $200 in the first two small lots I Plow, with NO salt ..add salt and addpayup

They take on the AVG of 1.6hr. to plow.

And just think Gicon only has to work 10 days all winterpayup

Take the leap with both feet.....

SELL some seasonal contracts or line up some per push commercial lots with a 2 inch trigger, or a keep it clear clause$$$$ ( DR offices/law) hint hint...
    There is a lot of money to be made even if it does not snow.. but not nearly as much if it dumps... All it has to do is snow!!!

What is this Day Job you speak of???
    where will it lead?..
    Do you want to be your own boss?
  15. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

ok, a question...what happens when it rains most of the winter? Around here there are no seasonal contracts, it's all by push.

A day job is an income for each and every day, until it snows you have no income...if it doesn't snow the first 2 months, how does one pay bills?
  16. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

im a contractor for comcast (local cable company) which i guess is a hugh advantage that i drive around in my personal truck all day were will it lead? honestly no were and of course i want to be my own boss who doesnt i would like to do the lawn mowing and basic yard clean up in fall and spring/summer easy money i did it when i was in high school and was making like a g a week but its not steady work and i have a son to support a bills now have to keep the ''nine to fiver'' steady work and pay
  17. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I have it pretty easy. I work at a high school in a town with very hilly streets, so when they close any road, school is closed so I have a paid day off as well as my plow accounts. My supervisor will let me come in late if I have been out all night plowing.
  18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

SnoFarmer sees where I am coming from. That $200 a day job I had was running a crane for a local drywall company, 11 hour days. That job is all well and good...untill the temp hits about 40. Than the crane runs slower than anything and worse than that, your sitting 13' off the ground, freezing your @$$ off, all for $200. I have owned my own construction company for 5 years now. I have also been plowing for 5 years. I did the crane last winter for about a month just for some kicks I guess. You mentioned that I only have to work 10 days out of the year. Your 100% correct. In my eyes I see: 55 hour weeks, every week, all winter long, versus 1 storm every 3 weeks inside a heated truck, more money. When I first got into the business I got my feet wet. I have added one truck every year, and showed a positive growth pattern. Now I run 5 trucks every time it snows. For me, there was an easier, better way to make money all winter long and it surley wasnt working for a company all day every day outside in the cold. At the end you mentioned what is this day job, where will it lead. The answer is, it is just a job, not a career, and it wont lead you anywhere. I have been my own boss for 5 years and it has its up and downs like everything. Going back to what BGingras said. No, nothing is guaranteed here. I roll the dice with the business plan warranting 10 plowable events per year. I have studied snowfall history for the past 10 years to come up with these figures. There are no guarantees in anything you do in life. Snow Plowing is a gamble. You asked how I can survive when it rains all winter? Proper business planning and a positive cash flow year round to support a lull in a particular economy. Those are the same things that permit growth as well. Now again, let me preach, that this is not for everyone. For the past 2 years, I have owned and maintained the largest residential snow plowing company in my entire town. It takes a lot of hard work and a lot of planning. In the end, it pays off. If I was not in the position I am in now, I would probably seek out other jobs in the winter time. Yes you can make more money at a day job and at plowing, but like SnoFarmer said. It is your 24/7 job. A storm for me is not a 5 hour event. It is the day before, day of, and day after, not to mention months before the season starts, and followups after.
  19. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

So Gicon,

Since you state that is "your 24/7 job. A storm for me is not a 5 hour event. It is the day before, day of, and day after, not to mention months before the season starts, and followups after."

So after all expenses for your 5 trucks, how much do you really come away with? And how many hours are you really putting into it?

My point here is it's starting to sound like you take home a paycheck, not a windfall, and once spring hits you looking for work. Unless of course you have a ton of construction work, but if that's the case then your really not quitting one job to do the other are you? Snow plowing is simply part of your company, not the full time gig...but since you say you ran a crane for $200 per day I'm thinking you also don't have any construction work? So this would now mean that you are really waiting for mother nature before you make any money. So you statement about having a positive cash flow leading up to winter doesn't fly...something doesn't add up.
  20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If he has sold seasonal contracts he would have monies coming in before it snows.
    If his trucks never move all winter, he still has cash flow for doing nothing more than selling some contracts.