1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you define a "lemon" plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TwoPuttTommy, Feb 15, 2004.

1. TwoPuttTommy

TwoPuttTommy Junior Member

Say you bought a brand spankin' new plow in the fall....

How many failures in the field/trips to the dealer to repair the SAME problem before you would call that plow "a lemon"?

Any personal anecdotes you'd like to share about "lemon" plows - i.e., the problem, the "customer service" recieved from the dealer and/or manufacturer, number of failures/trips to the dealer......
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Any trip to repair the SAME problem implies that this is the 2nd time this has happened. In that case, that 2nd trip would be the "lemon trip".

"Do it right or don't do it at all."
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  3. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Lemon laws don't pertain to equipment. I had a $9000.00 dollar mower that was lemon. It bad design from manufacture. Told by several lawyers that it would end up costing me to take them to court.
    Also if truck is in business name it not covered by lemon law.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

2 trip 3 tops its junk

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

what are the problems
    what brand

6. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Do a search for Meyer -- a whole slew of problems will come up.

Do a search for Western or any other brand -- only a couple!
  7. TwoPuttTommy

Brand spankin' new Hiniker "C" plow, purchased last fall for this season, installed on a brand spankin' new F-250.

Solenoids controlling blade movement keep frying. FIVE trips to the shop.

Hiniker: "Gee, TwoPutt, we've never had this problem before, but we "THINK" we've got it solved.":)

TwoPutt: "I'd feel much better if you said you "KNOW" that it's solved, OR you stuck a new rig on my truck.":mad:

Hiniker: "We can't (meaning, "won't") do that." :nono:

Which, of course, gets back to my question to you, how many trips to the dealer for the same problem before you consider the plow a lemon?
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

1. Seems I keep reading that as a favorite refrain.

2. Like I said before, the 2nd trip would be the "lemon trip".
  9. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Solenoids don't fry for no reason. either they are junk or staying on too long or your truck is charging over 15 volts.or rectifier bad ac in the dc ...Nothing else can fry an electrical device..

My guess is they can't figure it out....I;'m sure we can help you get it right...
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

That is correct. They can't fry without too much voltage or being on too long. Or they are defective. This is a new install so I would start back at the truck and work forward to the plow wiring.
  11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Could a bad ground cause a solenoid to go bad?? It seems most electrical problems can be traced to a bad ground.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  12. TwoPuttTommy

Last Saturday (just two days ago but this nightmare seems to be lasting forever), the manufacturer agreed to replace the wiring harness. Wehn disconnecting the passenger side plow headlight, they found the ground pin on the plug had corroded away.

They replaced the wiring harness and passenger headlight, and sent me on my way: "TwoPutt, we THINK this should solve yer problem"

Now, I am a real novice with a wrench, and know even less about electricity/wiring.

I'm wondering, what caused that headlight plug to wiring harness to corrode?

Could there be any other damage since a good half-dozen solenoids fried?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....
  13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Salt and water getting in the connection can cause it to corrode away. I have found die electric grease works wonder at preventing problems. I would think the damage would be isolated to your plow since it has its own independent power supply from your truck. The only thing that is tied in is your head lights. Guess i was right about the ground. :D :D
  14. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

A bad ground will cause the solenoid not to work it can't burn it out.
  15. TwoPuttTommy

There's no doubt that they've burnt out - they're supposed to be 9 ohms resistance, and when they're pulled they're flat-lined, or close to it.......
  16. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Its just a coil of wire. They are meant to be energized. Any burning out usually means they are defective from the factory..
    They break down because of heat which could be as earlier stated alternator problems..Rare