1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you charge??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chrizbie, Jan 12, 2002.

1. chrizbie

chrizbie Junior Member
    from NY

Hi Guy's I've been a member for a few weeks now and have been looking for a guide line for charges without much luck. I mean when you look at a driveway do you charge by square foot then by how many inches. I plowed last year basically for fun with a old truck that I first bought to do my drives, but I enjoyed it so much I had a new BOSS RT3 put on a week ago. I worked with a friend last year and he had shown me a lot about plowing. Unfortunately he went to florida for a few weeks and we are due to get a few storms before he gets back. I understand that the distance you have to travel factors in, but I am just looking for a few guidelines for the area to be plowed it's self.
    I really appreciate any input!!

I have checked out SIMA, but haven't made any money yet this year so I can't really pay out anymore and will probably join next year.

Thanks Chris

2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

chrizbie,

Well, first of all I guess you need to decide what you are looking at, commercial or residential. I charge differently for both of them. The commercial lotts that I service, give you what they want done in writing before the season starts. Most of them want the lott cleared every 3 inches. They are billed on a per plow basis. I figure that with what I figure will take me in hours, x a set hourly rate. I think you will find that there are numerous ways to charge for commercial. Residential, I charge a little differently, I give them a set price ahead of time, no matter how many times I have to go there during a storm. I know it sounds funky, but most of my residential accounts, the drives are so small, I still come out on the plus side. Hope this helps, this is only how one business does it, you'll find there are a lot of other opinions out there.

Take care good luck
    Chief Plow

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If your doing strictly driveways, Chief Plow's way is probably what most people use. While you're looking over the area to be plowed, figure in how much backdragging will be involved and add a little for that. Mostly, it's based on how much you want to make per hour. I have a different method of pushing. I push every 6-8" instead of just waiting until the storm is over. It's a lot easier to push 7" twice than 14" once. I charge 1/2 the rate for the second, third, etc push per storm in a 24 hour period. Some charge the full rate each push. Another difference is that some of my driveways are pretty long (up to 1/4 mile) and steep inclines/declines are common.