1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you charge for sanding?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Makndust, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I am getting a new speedcaster2 in the next week. All my clients say that they would like sand not salt. I can buy silica sand (dry) for $7.00 per 100 lb bag, or pit sand (wet) for $1.65 per 60lb bag. I thought that I would charge $21.00 per 100 for the silica that I spread and $30.00 for the pickup to pull onto the lot to spread it. I have no heated storage for the pickup so I don't think that the wet sand will work. Or mabey I could mix the silica and the pit sand to drop the price a little. How do you guys charge? Give me some ideas.

Thanks guys.
  2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Sand makes a big mess IMO but I guess you need to apply whatever the customer wants.

I charge a flat rate just to offer salt to a residential ($20.00 just to do it for a 1000sqft drive), then double the price of each bag for application.. I get my salt for $3.49 per bag

So a 25x50 driveway would be

$20.00 + $6.98= $26.98 + tax
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was trying to figure what you meant by charging $30 for the truck to pull it until I finally put myself in the customer's place. I'd say "Don't bring the truck". Now how are you going to get it there?

I think you'd be a whole lot better off with a sand/salt mix.
  4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I figured that if I charged to go back and sand after they called then it would get more people to have me sand as soon as I was done pushing snow off of their account while I was there. No ones seems to want salt. If they do how do I find a sand/salt mix that is bagged? I guess I could mix fine conditioner salt with the sand. I have no way to handle bulk material, that is why I am messing with the bagged stuff.