1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you buy a plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Nurumkin, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

Ok this may be a dumb question but I am trying to get a rig put together before snow falls so that I can take over plowing for my friends company (basically 100's of foreclosed houses out in the middle of nowhere)

I think I am going to pick up a 1998 chevy ck2500 diesel. My question is how do I find a plow for it? I would rather not buy new due to the cost, but I don't exactly know how a plow attaches. Are they a little universal? can you modify one to fit another truck? do you just get a proper mount and put any plow on it? As you can see I have no idea what I am doing here. Basically can someone give me the intro class on how to put a plow on my truck?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Your best bet with knowing nothing about the topic, is to find a good dealer somewhere close to you that can service the plow, and have them install a used plow. You can modify plow mounts if your a good welder, but I would just pay for the correct mount for your truck with your limited knowledge.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Where in MN are you from? I have a few plows and I might be able to help you out.

4. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

re

I live in Mora (near Hinckley) but I work in the cities and as far south as about Faribault.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty far away from you. Have you checked Craig's List for a plow? There are a lot of them on there right now and I'm sure you can find one that'll bolt right up to your truck.

6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Take the drive up to Bert's Truck and Equipment in Moorhead and buy yourself a Boss V. I'd get an 8'2'' for the 3/4 ton truck you mentioned, with smartlocks of course. U should be able to talk them into about $5200-5300 installed, plus tax.

http://www.bertsonline.com/

7. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

re

is that what its going to cost me to get one in general? I was hoping for less because I see them on craigslist for like $2000

8. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

hey there couple things to remember when buying a used plow

1. make sure its in decent shape.

2. plows are universal theyll go on any truck but the mounts and wiring are not they are pretty truck specific and thats whats hard to find

3. unless ur handy around wrenches and wires best to have it professionally installed

4.u dont need a v plow for resi driveways.

5.remember to check front axle weight rating on ur truck plows are heavy and if u go to heavy u could break the front axle

now on to the foreclosed homes, ive worked maintenance on these homes before down in florida mostly mowing but a couple things to remember.

1. they want u to have at least a million dollar liability insurance

2. they are not afraid to give u more houses then u can handle ( we had over 600 houses with 3 trucks 5 mowers in an area from Orlando Florida to almost Alabama including Georgia. we just couldn't keep up.

3.dont take on more then u can chew distance wise 35 houses close together is about all ur gonna be able to handle.

4.remember break downs are not cheap so minimize these and push with the storm

5. these forclosure companys dont pay right away so have some money to float u for the month

im not trying to burst ur bubble just make sure u plan every move before u do it those companies are ruthless and they will run u in to the ground

9. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

you can usually find good deals on craigslist for plows. I bought my 7.5ft meyers for my 1997 chevy 2500 diesel off craigslist ( in ny) for 650$ complete but the blade was shot. Bought a good used blade for 300 and i was all set to go.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just some advise, If your going to be "out in the middle of no where" make sure everything is working 100%. Your going to need some help plowing "100's" of houses, I'm thinking a few more trucks. Also look for plows that can be serviced in the field and get a service manual for it so you know what to do if and when something goes wrong. Myers are pretty easy to work on and parts are usually everywhere. I would think you should be able to find a decent Myers for around 1500-2000 and truck mounts for around 300.00

11. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

re

I am not new to the foreclosure business just new to plowing for it. The company that my friend owns has been doing this for 10 years and I have been helping him on and off for a lot of that time. I just recently left the banking world to do this full time and started my own company to sub for him. I have my llc/insurance/cash on hand (hell I spent 15k at menards alone last quarter). I appreciate your concern as you obviously know how the business works. Do you work on these houses?

12. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

oh sorry my bad bud just so used to seeing greenhorns thinking there gonna make a killing in this industry with out at least researching or taking the proper steps. I used to work for a small up and coming company out of florida mowing grass, cleaning up, light repairs, and we cant forget taking lots and lots of pictures lol when i was in between work we worked 7 days a week on average and worked close to 13-15 hours a day for $100 a day...hey i know the pay sucks but it paid the bills.

13. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

re

Was that on foreclosures? if so owch, I just started a friend doing lawn cuts and tree removals for us and he generally takes home $150-200 per 8 hour day, and after he figured it out he will probably take home about $250.

14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I hope you like taking pictures!

15. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

re

^^^ LOL, of course. Actually I need to go to bestbuy and make them give me another digital camera because the focusing gears in mine are shot. A camera only lasts me about 2 months before I break it, but thats the beauty of the accidental damage insurance they sell. I just have 2 cameras and when i break one and they mail it back to me in 2 weeks