1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do you achieve the down pressure ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tahoe99, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Tahoe99

Tahoe99 Member
    from NY

On the regular plows I've seen, there are 3 cylinders: 2 for angle adjustments and one vertical for lifting the blade up and down. How is the down pressure created ? Just the weight of the blade ?

Thanks

2. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

That's all. Besides the snoways with downpressure it is just the weight of the plow. Without adding a backdrag blade, my Blizzard 760LT backdrags quite well. Not too heavy, but scrapes pretty clean.

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Some plows have downpressure... Which is a piston that pushes down on the plow. Most common plows don't. Dropping the plow with it's own weight is not downpressure.

4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Plows with downpressure use a direct linkage system(no chain) and for down pressure instead of justing having a "power up" for the hydraulic cylinder, they also have a "power down" option which creates the downpressure I believe,

5. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

And My question is if the plows that have down pressure[direct connect] also have the float option on the controls?

6. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

I own two SnoWay plows. In normal operation up is up as long as you hold the button down (same as side to side movement).
    If you hit down button, the plow falls, leaving the valve in the float position. If you chose to add down pressure, you hit a different button, that allows the plow to not float but push down. It is a smart system, in that if you were to go up a hill a bit of pressure would bleed off though a preset relief, and if you were to go over a hill and need more pressure, the pump would run a bit to make up the factory selected hydraulic pressure, (575#, I think)
    Nothing back-drags as well, I make a custom back-drag edge, and it doesn't work as well. In addition you can use the down pressure going forward to scape up what you might have packed down.