1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do V plows trip?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QMVA, Jan 27, 2004.

1. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I was looking through Boss's web site and I started to wonder how their V plow tripped. On the Western site it was pretty simple on figuring it out because they told you but Boss didn't. How do they trip? Do they Trip? :confused:

2. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Boss is a full trip plow. It pivots on the mount in the middle.

3. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

What about when its in scoop?

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've heared that vplows don't trip very well when they are v'd or scooped. Just what I've heard.

5. ghostrunner

ghostrunner Member
    from PA

trippy V's

My Fisher EZV 8'6" has two trip blades one on each blade. Each blade has a 6" trip on the bottom of the blade with 2 coil springs. When you hit the edge it folds up!
    If your in V , scoop, or straight postion it all works the same. Mine rarely trips unless I hit curb or frozen dirt.
    It works great I really like it.

6. rjets00

rjets00 Member

:realmad: I own the Boss RT3 V plow, during impact the wing WILL return to straight blade position and trip like a normal full moldboard trip. This may sound like it is a slow process, but its has usually all done before you can say oh S***! The Boss is the best plow on the market in my opinion, you will not be dissapointed.

7. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

The Fishers have a trip edge, no need to worry;)

8. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

Trip!? Whenever I hit something... everything goes flying, the plow doesn't move, but my truck goes to the side and up in the air at the same time.

Yeah, if your wing hits something... it will move back. But if it goes all the way back into the V postion, all $*it hits the fan. Read the top paragragh... My advice with a V-blade, know your terrian even better than before and go a little slower. You will still get done quicker than with a straight blade.

9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sidebuz:

I commend you for your accurate answer on v plows. Extra care is required in the operation.

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Ever seen a F550 with a 130 gallon transfer tank full of diesel and loaded with tools with a 10' boss V come to a immediat stop? And I'm not talking about from 2mph......I'm talking coffee flying almost cut in 2 by the seat belt kinda stop. IMO a full trip V is one of the stupidest thing ever created. I have not seen it work "as advertised". Everything else about the boss is nice but I still wonder what they were thinking of with a full trip V

My 9'6" Fisher V with a trip edge trips just fine.

Trip edge verse full trip is a debateable topic IMO with a straight blade but it is not IMO seeing V's in action the way I have ran them and seen them ran. Maybe the Boss will trip if your just putting along or the ones I have seen have been flawed??? When I went to buy a V for my new truck the quality or other features of Boss vrs fisher/western didnt even play into my mind because I wanst even going to consider the full trip Boss. JMO

I love my fisher so far though althout the Fishstick controller takes some adjusting to from the boss. The boss controller is real easy to get the hang of.

Not trying to start anything, JMO :)

The knowing ones terain is a very good coment though:nod: ......I just dont like when I forget about things and I tend to plow more aggresivley at times. One thing I will say.......except during clean up most of the time its functioning like a straight blade for me so most of the time a full trip does its job.......but when it dosnt :dizzy:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004