1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do u guys log in your work?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Snow Commandor, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

How do all u guys log in your work during a storm? Clipboard with a spreadsheet? Mobil app such as Jobber? We all know the importance of keeping detailed records of our plowing and salting. When a slip & fall case is filed against one of us, the best defense is having accurate records of our work to show that we did our job.
    So lets hear it! How do u guys record all your work that's being done during a storm?
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I use a notepad and convert it all over to my PC on MS Office when I get back the next day.

I hate doing it this way, and I'm subscribing to this to find out what other guys do.

Great topic, BTW.
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Memory. Get home and write out the invoices. The names are all made out already and I list each storm as it gets plowed.
  4. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

We use detailed log sheets that have each property in order and a time in and out and you check what services were done. It has a spot to out time in for each driver and weather conditions and notes. We have a crew of about 20 and going through log sheets at the end of each event gets a little time consuming especially when events last for long stretches where many services were done consecutively. We are looking in to an app type system and we have nor'easter storm systems now but it just let's you clock in and out and snap a pic at the end but it doesn't have anything to specify what services are done. They say they are working to get that. Once they have that, I feel it will quickly replace the log sheets and work quite well. I too would like to hear what others are doing. Wish there was a system that would automatically pop up on iPad or tablet as soon as you pull in to your properties and prompt you to select what services you perform and hit start and then end and that would be it. That would sure make life a lot easier. I'm sure the technology is out there for that type of system but maybe it is not cost effective at this time. I know crew tracker is an option but from what I hear, it is very very expensive. Hopefully someone will chime in with the ultimate system!
  5. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Paper work orders. One for every job we do. In a binder with tabs by route. All the routes are in every rig so if someone needs help it can be logged. Details of time in and out and conditions etc. paper sucks, we are looking for a better way.
  6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Paper spreadsheet log similar to dodge2500. Get back to office and scan log into computer. This is faster than tablet / smartphone ... at least to me. Subscribed to see what works for others.
  7. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

We also have alot of paper - each truck/route/shovel crew has a sheet identifying all the properties for which they are responsible. They are to be handed in at the end of each shift. Then entered into an Excel file for each month.

It's alot of work, especially if you wait to enter it all into the spreadsheet at the end of the month. Can take more than a day to just do that. But we're trying to stay on top of it now - that way at month end it's all ready to go for invoicing.

We also have GPS on all the trucks, and that can be used to support what is written on the work sheets in the case of a liability claim. They still like to see more than one piece of documentation, so to have a hand written work sheet along with a GPS .pdf of the events of the day in question seems to work.

In a perfect world, would love to have the GPS tied into software that pings or tracks everytime a piece of equipment works on a property. The GPS allows for 2 PTO inputs, so we have one tied to the plow, and the other to the salter on the trucks. Makes it easy to distinguish what activities are happening. If it's just a site check, it should be able to determine that now plowing or salting occurred, so no billable event. But if the plow or salter is used, it would track that as a billable event. Just waiting for the pieces of this to come together - I'm betting it's already out there and I don't know about it.
  8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We use mostly paper but a few crews are logging in and entering their work as they are doing it with a start and end function which is very accurate and eliminates the transfer of the paper routes to the computer. This is through CLIP2GO which works well but with some limitations.
  9. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Also; All the billing is done thru quickbooks. So it requires data entry from the work orders.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

All paper log sheets and I don't think we will be changing our ways anytime soon. From what slip and falls we've had it seems they just want to see you have a system in place.
  11. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

The company I sub for uses Crew Tracker & I like it a lot but they say its very expensive so its not even an option for me to use it for my own accounts.
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Note binder Each page has a account phone numbers
    I keep track stuff in North end and My Son keeps track things south end of town He use a note pad once day is over I'll write all down in my Log book.
  13. Buswell Forest

from NH

Can't see how entering hand written log data into a PC is any better than old fashioned carbonless 3 page invoices.
    It for sure takes longer.
  14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

My system is strictly home grown but works very well for me since I'm a small contractor.
    I created a Route sheet in Excel, I take a hard copy and use it in the truck. The spreadsheet has the services each accounts gets, it has a series of boxes to check off and the only thing that needs to be written is the time on the property. There's also a place to put notes if needed but I typically just take a picture. I scan this sheet when I get home and save it by storm date in my PC.
    For billing I created a Excel spreadsheet and I use the Route sheet for the info. The billing spreadsheet has drop downs in cells for addresses, services provided, rates based in accumulation, weather conditions, etc...... All I need to file out is the time on the property, the date and invoice number. If I need I can attach a picture and add notes if needed. I send a PDF of this invoice sheet to the customer and keep a copy of the PDF and native Excel doc.
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

WOW that looks like a lot of work But it works for you
    My self I put log book in the pc at end of the month send invoice I like keep it simple and I support The Post office
  16. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Automated billing once info entered manually or by a crew directly. Plus accurate info of when and where.
  17. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Interesting topic. I have done a few data base programs in the past for my former employer. I'm now retired. Do snow plowing to keep myself busy. I would be interested in developing a database for snow removal that could be used on a IPhone, IPad and/or Mac computer. I just need the details of what you are all looking for. If you want of keep your ideas private you can PM me. This would be a very interesting and infighting project for me to tackle. If fact it would be fun.
  18. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I have had a tough time with this myself. This year I made a spread sheet with all of my customers names. I only do residential so it isn't as difficult for the commercial guys. So my spread sheet then has several columns next to the name. At the top I write C: 2/15, blizzard, 18-24 inches. Then in column c I put a check mark next to the account for each time I plowed it. If I plowed and sanded, there will be a separate check. At the end of the month I have a list of all the storms at the top and how many pushes.
    I have learned that I have to trust what I wrote down when I am doing my invoicing because it can be hard to remember everything.
    It is not a perfect system but I am trying to make it so that anyone could do my billing if need be and they aren't trying to decipher a bunch of jibberish.
    If I add a truck I will have their route set up the same way
  19. Buswell Forest

from NH

Whatever works I guess. But I have copies of each invoice for reference.
    I prefer the personal touch of a bill in the mail with a self addressed stamped envelope included. Email is easier, but impersonal. I write a "thank you" and sign each invoice..
  20. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

This I thank they like it. Glad i am not the only one doing it.