1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do people run around in 3/4 ton trucks with 2 yd of salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowplower1, Sep 30, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

So i have my 15 ford f350 and i have a 2 yd spreader, and when i get salt, i never fit more than 2000 pounds in it. 2000 doesn't even fill it, i could get probably another 500-1000 but with a thousand pound plow and 2000 pounds of salt in it i am weighing at about 10500-11,000. My gvwr is 10400 so i try not to go over but sometimes you can't be perfect.
    So my question, i see these guys running 3000 pounds of salt in there 3/4 and 1 ton trucks so are they just stressing their trucks out or is it okay to go 1000-1500 over the gvwr for a few hours during plowing?

I want to be able to safely put more in my truck this year as i already need to buy another salter with much more work this year but i don't want to do it damagingly to my trucks.
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It's fine....we run work trucks at full weight all year round
  3. snowplower1

really? so if i put 3000 in my salter and have my weight at like 11,500-12000 i wont have any problems? i also don't want to get in trouble for being over my gvwr, my registration is 12000 so im okay there
  4. 1olddogtwo

Ur 350 is rated 7k rear and 6K front, check door sticker. GVW is 11,400 (ballpark)
  5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

If DOT pulls you over just kick the spreader on full blast and empty it
  6. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Have you actually weighed the truck loaded?

My CCSB F250 scales at 9200# with an 8.5XV2 and 800# of sand out back...

If you're running a regular cab, you may have even more wiggle room.

The GVWR on my truck is 10k, but with a the D60 up front, and 10.5 rear, my axles are rated for a total of 12,100#. While I wouldn't condone running your truck overweight, it's more than up for the task.

Being an F350 with the additional pinion/side gear in the 10.5, your rear is rated to 6290#. Your total GAWR is closer to 12,300# (If distributed properly).

Running around at 12k most certainly is not going to break your truck, but NYSDOT could break you :)

And 1olddogtwo had the rear numbers right above, I was looking at spring rating, the but '3 pinion Sterling 10.5' is rated to 7k.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I'm guessing that your GVWR is higher than 10,400. I have a three quarter ton and mine is 10,000. Every time I fill up with salt I'm over that, and have yet to have any troubles (knock on wood). Although I don't have to worry about DOT pulling us over here.
  8. 1olddogtwo

My 350 ccsb srw is 11,400 or 11,500.
  9. snowplower1

It definitely says 10400 for gvwr. But my front gawr is 5600
    My rear gawr is 6290
  10. 1olddogtwo

Wow, assumed you had plow prep package
  11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Buy the truck, proceed to the nearest spring shop, leave the shop with more springs on your truck. Seriously though guys are just upgrading the truck to meet their requirements. Whether through the dealer or aftermarket. Then timing their route to spread more salt fast.
  12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A tell-tell sign of a overloaded vehicle to LE is a squatting vehicle, put air bags in the rear to control the level of the pickup when loaded. The advantage bags have over more leafs is when unloaded bags don't give a harsh ride and you can adjust to maintain the ride height on the fly as your load lightens which is plus to maintain plow geometry especially when running a V-Plow.
  13. snowplower1

I do have plow prep. I think i may get another set of leaf springs. then i would probably be set to add another 1000 pounds which is about as much as i need
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Get the air bags like Buff suggested. You won't be sorry.
  15. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

What's the payload sticker say on the door? Mine is like 3800 on a reg cab 350. Don't Remember my gvwr but I've got the plow package. No problems loading 2 yards of sand, 9 foot plow, 35 gallons of fuel and misc. Tools.
    I usually got the sand the day before and plowed a handful on my way to the roads I plow so it empties pretty quick.
    Problem is I love plowing with the sander full the truck hardly ever needs 4x4. I really wouldn't worry about the weight unless the dot is a big problem in your area
  16. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

FGAWR is only due to springs. The D60 front you have is good for 6k, My FGAWR is 5,940#, not due to the axle, but the 'computer selected' springs that go with my plow pkg. They will hold 6k just fine, but may sag a tiny bit more.
    The code on my door jam says CCFF, stating 6k front, 6,100 rear, not sure why they shave off 60#.
  17. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Let me guess you fill at Duke... In Henrietta? They go by registration weight. Up that weight and they will load more.
  18. 1olddogtwo

As Sprag's says, its all the same axles, I have CCLL coded springs. I have the factory helper springs as well as air bags.

For 500.00, you could swap out the front coils and add rear air bags. I understand why the sell a derated 350 but can't wrap my head around it.
  19. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

Talk of weight. You are aware that anything over 10,000 and HOS applies ?
  20. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Reason to Run a 3/4-ton at 10k. No log book, no DOT numbers, no weight inspection stations (over 5ton)