1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how do most guys price lots for salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by northwest lawn, Jul 22, 2005.

1. northwest lawn

northwest lawn Junior Member
    from toledo

i did the search and couldnt really come up with anything....just wondering how most guys can tell how much salt goes on a lot? how many pounds per sq/ft?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

experience tells you

Unfortunately it comes down to experience. To the weather. To the type of ice melting material your using. To how much is already down.
    If you are using rock salt and its 30 degrees outside and snowing with 2" down and more coming, plow first, than spread a heavy coat. It will eat up what your plow left and keep eating up to about another inch of snow. If it gets sunny the next day you will have a clear lot. If it just continues to snow plow and salt again. However you won't need quite as much because you already have a brine layer. There are lots of variables. If you are using bags order by the pallet and have delivered. Mine gets forked right into my garage! That saves me lots of time and time=money. I always try to have 3 pallets on hand. The first time you load up, just put as much as your truck can handle. When you salt, drive slow and steady and keep an eye on the spread. It is very handy to have a light mounted to keep an eye on the salt, here is a picture of my setup. http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8076
    I like to salt at about 1 nugget for every 2". I average 10-14 50lb bags per medium sized lot. 50lbs will get you about 100' x 10'.

3. northwest lawn

northwest lawn Junior Member
    from toledo

i screwed this post up big time...what i meant to ask is how to bid it..how do u guys estimate how much to put on a lot for a bid

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

2x my cost.

5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

our larger lots are by the ton applied and smaller locations just a per app charge

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I bid by the bag or by the ton depending on lot size...... just be careful in how you bid it because around here I have seen 1 acre lots take 200# to asmuch as a ton :cool: