1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I wire my tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pjslawncare, Jan 17, 2003.

1. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Hi guys. Ive been checking out this site for a while and have gotten loads of really great advise from you pro plowers. Now Im' sure to get some input on my situation. I got a good deal on a used Byers tailgate spreader (looks just like the Myers on this site in the deicing section under taigate salter). I put a new SAM Myers motor on it and everything is mounted. Now its time to wire it. The control unit has 4 wires, black (Ground), thiner red wire (Power I beleive), heavy guage red and heavy guage orange (both go to spreader motor I beleive). If im correct with this , why two wires to motor? :eek: . Also should I get my power direct from the battery? I certainly appreciat any and all advise and keep up the great job guys. You truly are an asset to the profesion

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The small red,should go to a fused power source controlled by the key,so the control shuts off when you turn the truck off.You should be able to find one in the fue box,probably marked IGN or ACC.The small black one goes to ground,like a dash brace or something.

The large red should run out to the battery,using a fuse holder at the battery,and good quality,proper gauge wire,8 or 10 gauge I believe.The fuse is usually a large maxi-fuse style rated at 30 amps.The large orange goes back to the tailgate unit to a quickdisconnect plug,which goes to the motor positive.The motor ground will have to come back through the quick disconnect plug,and ground to the frame,or better yet,back to the battery ground,same heavy gauge wire applies for that ground.

If you need a pic or diagram,just let me know

3. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Thank you wyldman, This makes it very clear now. If I would have tried it with out help, I would have connected the two heavier guage wires wrong. Ill' let you know how it works when I hook it all up tomarrow. Many thanks!

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Glad to be of help

don't forget to solder and heatshrink all connections,especially the heavier gauge ones