1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I UN-plow this truck??!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by steve68steve, Jan 29, 2013.

1. steve68steve

steve68steve Junior Member

Not a plow guy, just registered on forum for help with this:

I bought an 2001 F350 PSD used as a firewood and RV hauler and it came with a plow attached. I want this plow out of my life!!!

The plow is a Fisher HD 8' on a Minute Mount 2. I've dropped the plow and the frame. I think it will be easy enough to trace the 3 or 4 wiring harnesses hanging out the grill back to their connections and just disconnect them. Same thing on the inside: there's a Fish stick which plugs into a hard-wired socket - that's easy to just unplug.

My question is - and I realize how completely ignorant this is, but - what mods were made to the front of the truck frame to accept the headgear? It looks like there are two forks which the headgear spears, and then pins go thru holes in the forks/head gear spears to retain the plow.

Are those forks bolted on or welded on?
    Was there originally a cross-member at the front of the frame which was removed to accomodate the plow?
    If so, what's that piece called and can it just be bolted back on? Or does Ford make changes as part of the "plow package" which are not trivial to reverse? I'd like to put a front hitch receiver for a winch and bike rack (when getting wood and camping, respectively).

I've been googling for days and even called the local Fisher distributer today (left msg, no call back). I've already learned way more about plowing than I ever wanted to know and I'm trying to gid RID of this thing, not learn how to use it!

My locale has had a pretty snow-free winter (this far). Here's hoping for you all that we get dumped on Feb Mar Apr.
  2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Find a plow dealer, call them and ask them to buy it and remove it. There's plenty of demand for used plows in decent shape.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you bought the truck from Bird ,then the plow frame is welded on.
  4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

it should just unbolt.
    but as grandview pointed out, some hacks will weld them on.
    as for removed crossmembers, there should not be anything that needs to be removed to mount the plow, unless it was some cobbled together abortion.
  5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Identifying what you need to do for the mounts should be as easy as your description of how you figured out the wiring. Just crawl under and get a good look at it. Plow mounts are simple chunks of steel. Maybe the bumper or something in the way has to come off.

You might also look at the front end suspension to see if anything was added to help carry the weight, such as load-supporting air bags.
  6. steve68steve

Thanks, all.

Ironically I haven't crawled under there yet because my driveway is.... snow covered!!! I suppose that will tell me what I need to know, but just looking at it from the front, it's hard to tell much.

I went looking for front hitch receivers after posting this and it looks like they are all just a cross beam with a tube welded which bolts on. The fact that they bolt must mean the front of the ladder frame is drilled (or drillable) for stuff like this.

Ok, I didn't read the rules so this might be out of line, but: what's this thing worth? I'd be thrilled to get $1500 for the everything. Looking on craigslist and ebay I've seen really beat up rigs seemingly going for more and nicer stuff going for less. I suppose it's seasonal and a function of how much snow we're getting this season.
  7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I laughed.
  8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would think you should be able to.get more than $1500 for that plow. I would try advertising as a complete setup and put a tag of around $3000 depending on age and condition.
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

If you can post a pic of the plow on here we can help you with a price or put it in the for sale forum on here and maybe some guy will buy it. But also put on CL. Good luck
  10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Pretty sure the 01 had a crash bar that had to be removed to install the plow mount. May want to look into this.
  11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

There is not a cross member but there is an “anti climbing bar” where in a collision you do not climb on top of the car in front of you in case of a collision. This bar is removed in order to put the Fisher push plates on. Usually installers discard this item. I still have mine in the garage. It is held on with 3 bolts on each side. You can see the 3 hole triangulated mount where the bolts would reside if you look in the fender well right in front of the tire in the area of the front bumper braces.

To the OP. I also made a front mount receiver hitch set up that actually bolts to the plow push plates.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  12. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

on the contrary, all super duties from 99+ have a blocker beam that has to be removed to put on the plow mounts. At least that goes for hiniker, boss, snowdogg, and probably fisher too.

like the above two posts, its there so if you rearend a low vehicle your truck doesn't drive over them. Sort of the opposite of the back bumper hanging down on a semi trailer, thats so you don't go under them. Just imagine it in reverse.

and to the OP, if its in good shape you could get $3k for that plow all day long at least in michigan.
  13. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

if you did a couple smacks with a 5 lb sledge will have it off
  14. Forestry17

Forestry17 Junior Member

Don't know where you are in the LV but you can try Storks Auto in Bernville Pa (Rt183 north of Reading Pa) he buys and sells used plows.I bought a jeep and a plow from him not a bad guy.
  15. steve68steve

Wow! Thanks sincerely for all the help. You guys are pretty kind to a noob in here.

1. The "anti-climb bar" - that's what I was concerned about - altho more from a "stability of the frame" angle than saving some Prius-driving soccer mom from being monster-trucked. Now I have something to google.

2. Thanks for the tip about Stork's automotive.

3. Wow, great news about the possible value of the plow. Selling it off will allow me to get new tires and do some other work it should have. I want to get the alignment and front end (hubs, ball joints, steering hardware) checked out. Feels vague and this thing plowed. BUYING a used truck means there's no $$ left to FIX it.

4. Pics, pics, pics:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  16. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Nice job TJS!
    Nice looking plow Steve, at least you might get some cash out of itThumbs Up
    Keep us informed.
  17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I think you have to reinstall anti climb bar if you remove the mount, by law. Instructions said something about this and installers were supposed to tag something. Just been awhile since I have done an install on a superduty so don't remember all the details.
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

It's the luck of the draw...some days, noobs get reamed while being just as inoffensive and reasonable as you.
  19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Why not adapt the plow receiver to a winch and bike rack? Plow receiver will be a hell of a lot stronger than a crappy 2" receiver.
  20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

throw it up for $3500 and i would not take any thing less then $2500 for the complete setup.