1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I train new employee to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bushtrimmer, Dec 15, 2008.

1. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer Junior Member

Are there any manuals or videos to download anywhere to train new employees how to plow snow. Everyone plows and it's too hard to train someone on the job

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

there are alot of videos on this site, but if i were sticking someone on my truck to plow with it, I would want them to be trained on the job as much as possible. Have them be your passenger for a few storms then on an open parking lot, have them plow for 20 mins. You should get too behind that way.

3. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

I think SIMA has training materials. I am not sure how they are as I have never seen them.
    www.SIMA.org

4. bushtrimmer

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. bushtrimmer

Thanks, saw things on there to order. Anything in the mean time in case of snow this week? Nothing like waiting til the last minute! At least all the plows and salt spreaders are ready.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Very hard to learn in a week. You can watch all the videos you want and everything you learned will forgotten the minute you pull into the lot.Take him on a dry run instead and have him go back and forth with the plow up so you can show him how fast or slow he needs to go .

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing like on the job training! I did that last year myself. ;) What are you going to have him plow?

8. bushtrimmer

Small commercial lots and maybe apartment buildings

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

One of the worst places to put someone new would be in apartments. Normally no room to put snow, two directional plowing and judgment calls to make on where it goes. I would re-think that one.

10. bushtrimmer

Thanks, TCLA. I have a lot of 4 familly buildings that he can just pull into straight then clear out the turnaround area in back. He's just in a little s10 blazer.
    The other new guy I will have with me in larger lots in 2 trucks, I'll just keep hollering at him and let him learn by his mistakes. That's normal training for me I'm afraid.

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I smell a market for a Wii system game.

12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

13. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

the way i learned was the old farmer down the road was sick one mornin and we had livestock trailer commin in to pick up hogs...had to get cleared.. so he just pretty much through me in the truck and said figure it out..., now im very comfortable when plowing, i take pile locations into consideration if its the best place or if there is a better place to put snow...and each year i learn something new...either a new way to do it, or something to watch for, etc....its all about experience.. but i say just have em ride with ya a few times...then you ride with him once...

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Leave him with one of your experienced guys, let him ride with you for 5 min while you open the lot up and then let him drive and just tell him to take it easy. You'll be there watching but as long as the snow is going where you want and he's not wrecking anything leave him alone. Guys get nervous when you stand there watching over them and they even get more nervous if you start yelling. After a few storms he'll etither be making out well or you'll be looking for another guy. Having an expeirenced guy and a rookie plowing together for the first while makes the most sense. JMO

15. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

16. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

17. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

i have them ride along for one or two snows then i ride with them for one or two.

over the last few years i both my my wife and daughter, to the point where i am ok with putting them into one of my trucks and letting them plow with it.

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with JD. With you in the truck he will be too nervous and won't remember what you told him anyway.
    Sit back and watch....then teach.

19. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Sounds like some good advise so far. I've trained a lot of guys and they can get really nervous when the boss (who happens to also own the truck) is sitting there right next to them. At some point you need to let them just go and really get a feel for it. They need some room to think. Most will be over cautious anyway the first couple of times...eventually comes cockiness, which is a whole different issue. I like having 2 way radios so I can nudge them a bit here and there. One of the most important and simple things to be learned is to come to complete stops before shifting. If that isn't learned early, it can be a hard habit to break. Also learning to let the momentum of the vehicle push the snow into the pile w/ foot on brake. I watch so many guys stop just shy of the pile and then want to force it in...bad habits are hard to break, and can be hard on your equipment and wallet !

20. nekos

nekos Senior Member

the hardest part of plowing any lot is figuring out where to start .

when i train new drivers ( only done it a few times ) all i do is have them in my truck for about 15 - 20 minutes then baby sit them for the rest of the night. the key is to stop them when they do some thing stupid and tell them exactly how to do it right. also tell them how the lot should be plowed and where to stack the snow ect ect ect ... don't let them try and figure any thing out on their own. you will waste time cleaning up their mess.

no instructional video will teach some one how to plow. they have to jump right in and make the mistakes on their own.

( edit )

oh ya don't get pissed when they screw up. it will happen. just laugh it off and they wont be so nervous.
    kinda off topic , i have some good stories about stupid things new drivers have done ( myself included ! lol )

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008