1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How do I tell?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by menchhofer, Dec 10, 2003.

1. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Thinking about buying a 94 F150 for light plowing, but I have been reading about the TTB problems.

This truck has two shocks on each side in the front. Does this mean it has the TTB...I am confused. Can anyone help me out here?.....thanks

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

TTB? you can do light plowing with a f150

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

No, the twin shock setup is aftermarket. Your truck has a Dana 44 TTB front end. While the differential and steering knuckles (Dana 44) are suitable for plowing, the Ford opted TTB setup leaves little to be desired. I have an F250 with the Dana 50 TTB. I have to rebuild the entire front end every year. I plow commercially with this truck so I guess I would expect more problems than if I were to casually plow with it.

make sure you have manual locking hubs. These hubs have to be locked in by turning a knob in the middle of the hub. It will be marked lock / free. If you have automatic locking hubs, the hubs will be flush with no knobs. The auto-hubs are total crap. Replace them with Warn manual hubs for 150.00 and 10 minutes work per hub. Put a light plow on it and go to town.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Plow Meister,

My 03 250 has what I'm assuming are auto hubs as well as manual hubs. I say this cause you can switch from 4x2 to 4x4 with the switch on the dash. I do have that leaver you described on my front hubs free/lock, my questions is should I replace those with something else ??

thanks for the help !!

5. Plow Meister

Eyesell

I didn't know Ford still offered the push button shift WITH the hubs you say you have. If you do have those hubs, leave them on the truck. They are far superior to the auto-locking hubs.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I think I'm confused, I can put the truck into 4x4 HI 0r 4x4Low with the switch in the truck, the manual says I never have to mess with the hubs. What I'm concerned about are these the ****** hubs ??

I'm sorry, I read your last post, my hubs stick way out, they had to put a whole in the middle of the center cap to accommodate them so they must be the good ones.

Sorry again for not reading closer :(

7. Plow Meister

The push button on your dash only engages the transfer case. The knobs on the wheels need to be engaged in order to transfer the power from the front axle to the wheels.

Theoretically, you can push the button and engage the transfer case into 4wd. This will spin the front drive shaft and front axle but it will not drive the wheels. That is what the manual hubs are for.

In the winter, I lock my hubs in and leave them alone until spring. This way, all I have to do to actually be in 4wd is activate my transfer case. I have a lever instead of a push button. By doing this, I don't have to get out of my truck every time I want to go into 4wd.

8. drobson

drobson Senior Member

Ford does have the option of auto locking hubs, I have them on my F350; however, they also have manual hubs. If you have this option, the writing on the hubs will read Lock or Auto, instead of Lock or Free. If in the auto setting, the hubs are engaged when the switch on the dash is put into 4X4. Ford suggested to me that I do not rely on this all the time and that the manual locking hubs are more reliable. Apparently the hubs are locked with a push of air, and this does not work all the time. A bad design I guess, but a good concept. I don't know if it's any better on newer trucks, mine is a 1999 SD. I will usually just lock my hubs when I am going out plowing and use the switch to take out of 4X4 if I don't need it.

9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

As was said, the buttons on your dash control the transfer case, not the hubs. Totally different. The transfer case (in laymens terms) is a thing behind the transmission with a driveshaft going to the rear axle and another one off the side, going to the front axle. When you press the 4X4, or 4high button, you are engaging that front driveshaft, which goes to the front axle, unless the hubs are locked though, you still wont be in four wheel drive because the wheels will not be connected to the axles (the moving part inside the axle housing) and therefor will just roll along as if they were in 2WD.

Manual hubs-
    Easier? No.
    Stronger? Yes.

Hopwe this makes more sense to you now.

-Jer

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

It sure does, thanks for the time takin to help me clearly understand this. :)